Tampermonkey Mod: Automatically compile Who's Online list into one page.

Author Topic: Tampermonkey Mod: Automatically compile Who's Online list into one page.  (Read 2060 times)

You can sort by name it's not hard to find a person.

You can sort by name it's not hard to find a person.
actually, I can see the convenience in this, at least for people with slow connections (e.g. me)

loading each page means, first, sending the request. then, when you receive a response, you also have to send a request for every single image. even if they're in your cache, it still sends a request for them, because it has to find out from the server whether or not what is in the cache is up-to-date
then you have to do that whole process for every page you need to look through. it's not helped by the fact that choosing a field to sort by involves yet another page load
when you have latency issues, this all adds up really quickly

but this way, you only load all that stuff for the first page. for all of the javascript requests, all it downloads is the text alone. then, when it gets added to the current document, even though there are images (like the online icon or AIM icon, that junk), you've already loaded those images for that page so your browser doesn't send the request for them at all
not to mention, all the JS requests are done basically at the same time, which reduces how long it feels like it takes
and when all that's added up, it's a much less frustrating experience

I still don't use that list. but maybe someone else will be pleased by the difference

Thanks for the placeholder mod.  If the issues can be fixed, that'd be dandy.

Thanks for the placeholder mod.  If the issues can be fixed, that'd be dandy.
it's not a placeholder! it's the whole thing. just not finished yet
maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I was definitely gonna finish it. I just don't wanna work on the same thing for more than a couple of hours at a time

it's not a placeholder! it's the whole thing. just not finished yet
maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I was definitely gonna finish it. I just don't wanna work on the same thing for more than a couple of hours at a time
Ah, gotcha.

here's the finished version: http://pastebin.com/tc74Jqfk

the options work. the defaults are to NOT include guests, and NOT do it automatically. when it's set to not do it automatically, it just sticks a button near the top of the page because I couldn't think of anywhere better to put it
colors show up properly
duplicates, as far as I can tell, are no longer a concern
it removes EVERYTHING from the list as soon as it loads or you press the button. then it fills it back up with new stuff
and on that note, it happens on every page. this is no longer unintentional, because now it loads the full list from start to finish, rather than just page 2+

let me know if you run into any problems

edit: also, if you're using it with the button rather than automatically, it works just fine doing it more than once. that might save a little bit of time since you don't have to refresh the whole page
but only press it once at a time. every time you press it it does the whole thing again. the thing is, it only clears it when the button is pressed, so you'll end up with a really big list if you press it multiple times in a short amount of time
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:02:52 PM by Foxscotch »