Author Topic: [Solved] ServerPlay3D()  (Read 1394 times)

I notice that sounds in Blockland, as you get farther away from them, slowly get quieter and quieter until eventually they are silent. However, when I use the ServerPlay3D function to play a sound, there is a very short distance that the sound can be heard from and the moment I step out of that small area of sound it is silent. There is no fade. How would I add the fade as well as make the distance the sound is heard from a larger area?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:48:28 PM by Dr.Tyler O. »

if the audio file is stereo (meaning it has to layers for left and right sound it will have this effect)

to fix this open the sound in a editor, I will be using Audacity
split the stereo track to mono

lower the audio gain on the split tracks to try to prevent audio clipping, if -6db isn't enough and it sounds distorted undo the next step and decrease more

Go to Tracks>Mix and Render

you will now have a mono audio track, it will decrease the sound quality a little but it will now have proper fading

if you want to decrease the file size a bit while still retaining good quality, drop the project refresh rate to 32kHz. not many are going to notice the drop on a 3D sound.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:09:21 PM by Swollow »

Thanks for the help Swollow, that was a very nice tutorial.

or just hit this:

make sure that the track is stopped first

ignore me
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:37:21 PM by Gytyyhgfffff »

don't do this ^
it can lead to audio clipping and audio distortion

Swollow's tutorial functioned just fine. And, although it increased the distance the sound can be heard from, I would like the distance to be greater. Does this deal with how much gain the sound has or something?

Swollow's tutorial functioned just fine. And, although it increased the distance the sound can be heard from, I would like the distance to be greater. Does this deal with how much gain the sound has or something?
no this is dependant on the audio description

the audio descriptions are
AudioDefault3d
AudioClose3d
AudioClosest3d
AudioDefaultLooping3d
AudioCloseLooping3d
AudioClosestLooping3d
Audio2D
AudioLooping2D

the names do what the imply, the close and closest makes the range smaller

in theory if you needed a larger audio range you can create a new audio description datablock, I am uncertain if they are synced to the clients though, you will have to test that out

also: the reason the audio distance increased is because the stereo sound had no audio fall off due to it being stereo so the audio fall of happened immediately at half the distance
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:42:12 PM by Swollow »

don't do this ^
it can lead to audio clipping and audio distortion
oh i didn't even know that

no this is dependant on the audio description
Thanks for being such a great help Swollow. You deserve three new hats from Uxie.

for future reference, -6db will keep the same volume when splitting to mono, -4db still has a chance of clipping.
if you want to decrease the file size a bit while still retaining good quality, drop the project refresh rate to 32kHz. not many are going to notice the drop on a 3D sound.

for future reference, -6db will keep the same volume when splitting to mono, -4db still has a chance of clipping.
thanks parrot, changed my post to -6