[W.I.P] Kitchen StaticMap

Author Topic: [W.I.P] Kitchen StaticMap  (Read 8745 times)

Problems with the map and how to fix them:

-Collision being broken

The reason it takes a while to make these maps is because you cannot just duplicate the model and make that the collision. Tork only allows convex collision so raycasting and the likes work (and thus, building and whatever works). You have to make the collision manually.
If collision making was that easy, I would have had Kitchen out the day I announced it.

- Textures

I'm taking a stab at it and you probably found the kitchen model somewhere on google, which is fine, but it doesn't have any of the UV mappings the original map does. To get the proper model of the kitchen (or any interior), you need:

Torque 3D 1.1 (google also helps here)
The map and the textures for it (named correctly)

Load the interior into Torque 3D, and make sure the textures are visible in the editor, then export as collada. Boom, textures.
This is probably a terrible explananation, but that gives me the incentive to make a tutorial video for making maps.

I'll put my kitchen map in a dropbox link and share it so you could finish it if you want.

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a7me59ysu03wuyi/AAAKpq9BcQStLv5c4DLodgRza?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:01:56 PM by Wrapperup »

-snip-

Hey, thanks for the help.

As for the collisions, I did know Torque only allowed convex collision, but since I never had to make them (I've so far only made things for Unity), I had very little understanding of them. From what I gathered from your files, in its basic form, they are multiple objects made from quads, correct?

As for the textures, I did in fact, get the Kitchen model by searching around, it did come with textures, but the UV map was bugged, but I had already planned how I was going to texture the model, so it wouldn't have been too much trouble anyways.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: I was right about the collision, made a quick test map for that and the texture method I was planning on using, both worked.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:46:10 AM by ayyitsaj »

Just a quick little update screenshot of what i have currently:

Actually, He's working on it:
Looke here:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=266409.0

The last edit to that was in June, and the thread itself is locked.

I honestly can't wait for this to be finished! This was my best map

Glad to see someone else is tackling the project, I'm hopping if everything goes well you try other maps.

Glad to see someone else is tackling the project, I'm hopping if everything goes well you try other maps.

I actually do plan on making more maps after this, I might even take requests!

The map I have planned after I finish this map is Slopes.

I actually do plan on making more maps after this, I might even take requests!

I thought slopes was not possible because of its complex collision model, I mean that is a terrain and not an interior.

For request I have to only say...Spyglass

I thought slopes was not possible because of its complex collision model, I mean that is a terrain and not an interior.

For request I have to only say...Spyglass

Anything is possible.

And as for Spyglass, I will do my best.

It would take the work of a god to makes Slopes

I already got the heightmap for it, all I have to do is paint the textures and make the collision, then it's done.

Not really. You just need a program that can convert a heightmap to a mesh. Making convex collision meshes could be automated aswell.

Staticmaps should be made default.