Ideas to "revive" blockland (tip: living things cant be revived)

Author Topic: Ideas to "revive" blockland (tip: living things cant be revived)  (Read 9403 times)

yeah i think we could really use more videos, all of thsoe "why to buy blockland, blockland gsf aliens are real, awesome lego house, left 4 block subway, etc" videos sold it for me back in 2010, we also need more youtube ads, which is what introduced me to the game in the first place.

to be honest blockland's at a state where I don't think too much can happen now. We've hit the limits of this game and it's slowly and slowly being unsupported.
blockland 2

i feel like torque engine limitations are also a huge factor

Sorting through addons can be horrible
Notice I said "can be", that's because some games implement this in a good way like besiege, where as other games like gmod have terrible tags and there will most likely always be some type of addon in the wrong category ex. a dupe in saves
It's already horrible.

to be honest blockland's at a state where I don't think too much can happen now. We've hit the limits of this game and it's slowly and slowly being unsupported.

We haven't even hit the limits of this engine yet. There are many cool things that could be implemented with tiny changes.

Even more with a newer engine. If badspot actually spent those 2 years on recreating the game in a new engine, where do you think it would be now?

But I don't think anything is going to happen at this point. He already found a new source of money and doesn't even talk with us anymore.

He already a new source of money[/url] and doesn't even talk with us anymore.
oh
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:07:52 PM by Lego lad »

If Badspot implemented Steam Workshop for Blockland, that would solve a lot of problems, and help with server quality significantly, but at this point I am starting to lose hope that will ever happen.
how would that work?

We haven't even hit the limits of this engine yet. There are many cool things that could be implemented with tiny changes.

Even more with a newer engine. If badspot actually spent those 2 years on recreating the game in a new engine, where do you think it would be now?

But I don't think anything is going to happen at this point. He already found a new source of money and doesn't even talk with us anymore.
not sure if you should link that; technically its nsfw
and i'm p sure the last person to talk about his minions site was banned for it

not sure if you should link that; technically its nsfw
and i'm p sure the last person to talk about his minions site was banned for it
It's definitely relevant to this topic, and the patreon front page doesn't have any nsfw content.

I don't think you can do that either.
no stuff, im not loving nasa

what you need to realize is that the problem is not with the number of people who buy the game. sales will not help. youtube videos won't help. more default add-ons certainly won't help
the issue is player retention. getting people to keep playing the game. like I said before, it's a pretty niche game, so that's a little difficult

seriously, have you seen the trailer on the steam page? it is amazing. making people want to try it is not by any means the problem
The real issue isnt that blocklands playerbase is shrinking. Its that the majority of the current playerbase are kids from steam, most of whom literally have no idea this forum even exists. Thus the forum ends up seeming sparse (the clan discussion board has gone the way of the AoT board, with only about one or two new posts every day, and with the oldest thread on the 1st page dating to over a month ago).
but I hadn't thought about this before. I think planr has a point

I'm sure I would've played for some time, without the forum. idk how long. but certainly not as long as I did
all of the add-ons are here. sure, there are other websites with all the old add-ons that were on RTB, but guess where you have to go to find links to those. and that, by nature, only includes the add-ons that were on RTB, but not all of them were on it when it was around, and it completely rules out any that have been made since it was shut down
I dunno where people think people get add-ons. maybe they think they're all made by the host, or something
I've played blockland within the past year. but, honestly, that wouldn't be true if it wasn't for the forum

however...
badspot doesn't really have any reason to worry about player retention. in fact, making the forum more publicized would only mean that he'd have to put more work into moderating it. plenty of people try the game, and that's all he needs to get paid. so I can't see any reason that he'd try to do something about it

if you really wanna help the game, making sure people know about the forum will probably do a lot more good than... youtube videos

we should all band together and make a legally safe copy of block land called 'bricky world' on unreal engine and then we can all be bad spots and stuff

lets do it cmon

Vines? :cookieMonster:
But seriously, I've tried convincing some of my friends to try it, and they didn't seem interested. The most common type of server is either an RP/G, a free build, or a T/DM, which gets boring if it's the same thing over and over again, which may be what made a few people leave. We need some servers that appeal to an even broader audience. There are plenty of mods out there for something unique to pop up, but we just haven't found it yet.
We need to do research on what people like. We need to make a few public servers testing some popular genre of games. If it goes well, woohoo, we might get like ten or twenty new players who browsed through YouTube videos of Lego like stuff. If we don't, we keep trying. What's important is we don't give up until we have nothing else to try.
[new reply warning]
God loving damn it this was meant to be a follow up of Foxscotch's post.

we should all band together and make a legally safe copy of block land called 'bricky world' on unreal engine and then we can all be bad spots and stuff

lets do it cmon
why don't we call it project b instead?

why don't we call it project b instead?
why don't we call it project shut the forget up instead?

:^)

why don't we call it project shut the forget up instead?

:^)
come on... that was a jab at project a. :c