Ideas to "revive" blockland (tip: living things cant be revived)

Author Topic: Ideas to "revive" blockland (tip: living things cant be revived)  (Read 9402 times)

exactly my point :^)

But seriously, I've tried convincing some of my friends to try it, and they didn't seem interested.
one question: did you try to describe it to them, or did you show them the incredible steam trailer?

one question: did you try to describe it to them, or did you show them the incredible steam trailer?
I tried describing it the best I could. It was mainly so I could practice my conversational skills. I assume I know where you're going with this and I'll send it to them ASAP.
Edit: sent to a friend but he has lodsa work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:30:14 PM by Space1255 »

why don't we call it project shut the forget up instead?

:^)
Yep

It seems like any servers with good replayability value get insanely popular regardless of the time of day or day of week. The problem is that not enough people are hosting servers.

The solution is to simply make fun, replayable servers. It's not something that's going to happen overnight but if everyone here capable of making a good server made one, I guarantee you the master server would be looking livelier than before.

Yeah, Ike has a point. There needs to be more individual creativity when it comes to hosting servers.

I'm hoping one day or another the best modders on blockland will band together and form a guild and produce interesting projects that can be available to the public.

forget i really need to continue work on my boom town tdm, although the biggest problem for me is hosting

I tried describing it the best I could.
I've never seen anyone describe this game in a way that's gonna really interest someone else
I guess, people usually try to tell them what they like about the game. which tends to be the nichey stuff
or maybe they try to explain one of the popular gamemodes. and... well, a description of how to play a game is not very exciting. and for games easily explained, "trouble in terrorist town clone" isn't really attractive either

It seems like any servers with good replayability value get insanely popular regardless of the time of day or day of week. The problem is that not enough people are hosting servers.

The solution is to simply make fun, replayable servers. It's not something that's going to happen overnight but if everyone here capable of making a good server made one, I guarantee you the master server would be looking livelier than before.
The thing is though is people who try to do this and make a really alpha stage public will have a split player base. One part are admins, another part loyal players, another is people who hop on from time to time, and one less often, then one who comes once, whines about it being stuffty, and leaves. I'm excluding spammers from this because they don't count. Eventually they just give up on it due to people whining about stuff instead of making suggestions on how to make it better.
I've never seen anyone describe this game in a way that's gonna really interest someone else
I guess, people usually try to tell them what they like about the game. which tends to be the nichey stuff
or maybe they try to explain one of the popular gamemodes. and... well, a description of how to play a game is not very exciting. and for games easily explained, "trouble in terrorist town clone" isn't really attractive either
Yeah. It's hard to do, you're gonna need one hell of a silver tongue to get through to people. Also our conversation slowly changed into other games including Mass Effect and how we want to be lik when we grow older.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:24:02 PM by Space1255 »

actually it's not like more players will suddenly appear if there are more playable servers

like blockland only has so many people hanging around on it at any given time and that pool of players can only be in so many places at once, which means that there are going to be some servers that still end up nearly empty because theres so many other interesting places to be

actually it's not like more players will suddenly appear if there are more playable servers

like blockland only has so many people hanging around on it at any given time and that pool of players can only be in so many places at once, which means that there are going to be some servers that still end up nearly empty because theres so many other interesting places to be

I don't speak for everyone, but often times people scan over the masterlist for something appealing to play, and if there isn't something that's interesting from the getgo they'll just log off

Server titles need to catch people's interest to gather traction

I have been thinking about this for a very very long time, denied it twice, but...well Its the truth.

This old engine, heavily modified, but still, I can no longer deny the fact that, our engine is an old bloated thing that we need to get away from.
We would be better off trying to re-make Blockland in another engine, even if it mean loosing a large amount of stuff, I'm sure its possible to do it, you would just need to have a lot of time and dedication.

What engine? Hell I don't know, it should be suited to meet our need if anything, the Number 1 thing on the list would be an engine that can handle a very large number of Bricks, and be capable of robust modifications.

I don't speak for everyone, but often times people scan over the masterlist for something appealing to play, and if there isn't something that's interesting from the getgo they'll just log off

i also do the same thing but that doesn't mean that the server list will balloon with players if there are enough good games to play, the amount of people who 'peek' like that cant possibly be more then twice the amount of players who play routinely

That would probably take months or years to make, though, and we'd probably lose more players than we gained. However, obligatory map comment involving shader comparability, but those maps did have some bugs that needed to be squashed from what I could tell.

So we need to excite people more? We could also make a popularity topic that tiers servers of people who host by their popularity, like SS, S, A, B, C, and so on. We could probably do it in a sampling method where we take a bunch of players and gather their votes and turn it into a percent. We then make or use an add on system like oRBs or Glass to display the list. Reason why I suggest the forums (for the initial ranking) is because a good deal of add ons come from here, so people are bound to stumble upon it eventually.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:34:15 PM by Space1255 »

basically what is being suggested is to have lots of good servers up so that people who start playing the game get a good first impression and stay playing the game because of how many interesting servers there are

and very slowly the playerbase will increase