Author Topic: XR almost got severely injured/dead  (Read 977 times)

But I'm not dead so don't worry.

Today, I was leaving home on my way to work. It was raining pretty hard and had been doing so all day long. I reached the end of my street and pulled onto the highway behind a white Ram. About 1/8 mile later, he turned on his signal to turn left and stopped in the middle of the highway, but he couldn't because there was a lot of traffic and no gaps to get through. I slowly rolled to a stop behind him.

I noticed a semi (full size 18 wheeler) approaching behind me but thought nothing of him, since I was focusing on the truck in front of me so that I could continue. Suddenly, there was a loud rush as more than a dozen tons of machinery shot past my passenger side. My car jostled back and forth and water crashed against the windows. I saw that the semi had blasted around me using the shoulder that was at most about 18 inches wide (and at more than 50mph (80ish km/h) compared to my dead 0mph). He had to use someone's front yard for the rest of his truck's width clearance. Once everything settled and I gathered my senses, I noticed a couple mailboxes right next to me. I wanted to get out and see just how close they were because I could see no way that a full size rig managed to rush through that gap without wrecking my car and/or the mailboxes.

Once the Ram managed to slip through a gap in traffic, I skittered and slid my way back up to speed (I have bad tires and the road was like wet glass). Of course, when I caught up with the semi, he had drastically slowed down to 15mph under the limit. I edged my bumper up to his trailer intentionally tailgating him and driving on the center line looking for an opportunity to get around him, but I had to keep retreating due to too much traffic. Eventually, the road widened to a divided highway so I shot around his truck, slowed at his window, and honked at him before taking off.

Had he been just one foot over to the left when he shot past me (quite a small amount of space for driving a truck at 50mph in heavy rain), he would've pancaked my car against the Ram in front of me and sent us sprawling into head-on traffic on a 55mph road. I really don't think my chances would've been too great if that had happened.

holy stuff, did you piss yourself?

driving is so loving scary sometimes I hate it. I'm probably gonna die in a car accident cause I'll freeze up in a preventable situation or some stupid bullstuff like that

jeez dude. glad you're alright

holy stuff dude that's terrifying
glad you're okay

as a side note, are you saving up for better tires?

driving is so loving scary sometimes I hate it. I'm probably gonna die in a car accident cause I'll freeze up in a preventable situation or some stupid bullstuff like that

This actually reminded me.

I did one of those silly tests on Facebook quite a while ago that predicted the date that I'll die, what causes, and where. I uncovered the image in my imgur images.

Spoopy.

holy stuff dude that's terrifying
glad you're okay

as a side note, are you saving up for better tires?

I'm intending on at least replacing my front tires (fwd car) and my rusty brake lines before winter. Tires and brakes are pretty important when there is ice and snow after all. Just today, I lost traction on the road as many as 15 times, mainly from climbing hills since my automatic transmission will kick down a gear and add torque to my front tires, causing them to spin uncontrollably on the wet pavement.

That would suck if you died no more updates to the cross country thread.

That would suck if you died no more updates to the cross country thread.

yes that would truly be the most tragic part of his death.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:00:41 AM by Frequency »

Reminds me of when a cop car nearly slammed our truck.
We were at a redlight along with a semi that was pulling out from the lane to the left of us, the truck was about 5" (poor estimate) from us, suddenly you hear a siren from the back and a cop comes flying through and squeezes through the tight squeeze. Had he missed then me and my grandpa would have been jarred bad and the cop would probably be in a world of hurt. The semi driver would be fine though.

I'm glad that you're alright!

Holy stuff glad you're okay.

Reminds me of when a cop car nearly slammed our van.

And thanks guys for being happy that I didn't die.

yes that would truly be the most tragic part of his death.

If I ever die prematurely, I'll PM you my forum password and let you continue Cross Country Run for me.

Wait, so, if I got this right, this dude took an evasive maneuver and saved your life by swerving around you, and you reacted by pulling up next to him and leaning on your horn?

We were at a redlight along with a semi that was pulling out from the lane to the left of us, the truck was about 5" (poor estimate) from us, suddenly you hear a siren from the back and a cop comes flying through and squeezes through the tight squeeze. Had he missed then me and my grandpa would have been jarred bad and the cop would probably be in a world of hurt. The semi driver would be fine though
On the bright side, you would have 5 or 10 seconds of freeze-frame, car-flying action before the guy with the country accent finishes saying 'whole mess o' trouble'.

this is why i am hesitating on taking my drivers test