Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 105496 times)

torquescript is basically bootleg js so that book mightve come in handy

oh

i didn't think of the ** thing and i didn't want to have it as a function because that stuff takes about 50 years to type out compared to the 1 nanosecond it takes to type something like ^ or **
the time it takes to type something is not a major concern, clarity when reading is much more important

Bump?

I wrote this little program to extract files from WillPlus archives. I haven't written any Python in a while and didn't want to get rusty. Furthermore, I wanted to humor myself, because I don't normally use Python to read and write binary files--I feel the dynamic typing system makes it awkward, and I don't personally like the struct module.

I wanted to include my program in code tags, but it somehow triggered a Cloudflare security error and prevented me from posting?

i'm bored so i'm making a scripting language out of java just for the heck of it. i only have like 2 weeks of experience in java and no experience with making anything good that isn't in torquescript so maybe if any of you are feeling generous could look over what i have so far and tell me how i forgeted up

i got real basic stuff set up right now like creating global variables and doing arithmetic. the math right now follows order of operations but can't do parenthesizes yet because i haven't thought of a way to do those

https://github.com/bansheerubber/script

I'm not experienced enough with Java to criticize your code, but I can see you're executing expressions directly as you parse them. I know you probably don't have any plans on making practical use of your language, but if you want to improve it, real world scripting languages translate source code into an intermediate language which is faster for computers to execute. If you're curious about how this process actually works, I recently watched and highly recommend this series on the implementation details of the reference Python interpreter.

You should definitely continue this project, it's a great opportunity to learn a lot of valuable information which in turn helps you write more efficient code ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:28:48 AM by SUSHI »