Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 106440 times)

I had my first class of Operating System and Network Security today which seems like it'll be pretty cool. Our last lab is a capture the flag type of game where we try to get into someone else's computer while still defending our own. We're allowed to use any attack we want since the lab is on it's own network isolated from everything else.

that sounds fun. what is the thing you're trying to get off their computer?

I had my first class of Operating System and Network Security today which seems like it'll be pretty cool. Our last lab is a capture the flag type of game where we try to get into someone else's computer while still defending our own. We're allowed to use any attack we want since the lab is on it's own network isolated from everything else.
what the forget can i sign up for this class???

Bloody heck, that sounds like a good time.

woah
damn

That sounds pretty damn fun...

what the forget can i sign up for this class???
woah
damn
That sounds pretty damn fun...
It seems fun on the surface, but information security is a really tough profession. Requires a ton of knowledge and extremely good problem solving skills, significantly more than needed for just programming.

Been studying DirectX 11 all night. This stuff is cool man. I mean, all I've got is a blue background so far, but I actually understand what's going on, and I like that.

I'm surprised I understand pointers as well as I do. It's just a matter of remembering to release any borrowed memory now >.<

Been studying DirectX 11 all night. This stuff is cool man. I mean, all I've got is a blue background so far, but I actually understand what's going on, and I like that.

I'm surprised I understand pointers as well as I do. It's just a matter of remembering to release any borrowed memory now >.<
Thats pretty cool
Do the projects you do for game design involve DX11?

that sounds fun. what is the thing you're trying to get off their computer?

I'm not a 100% sure, it's like our final lab for the class putting everything we ever did throughout the semester to use. Like I think it's more to see just who can properly secure their computer, I think we need to like try and break the computer so it doesn't work. It was funny the CIO for the school said something explicitly about this class and how there is 0 tolerance for any of this to happen outside of our sandbox area on the actual network.

It seems fun on the surface, but information security is a really tough profession. Requires a ton of knowledge and extremely good problem solving skills, significantly more than needed for just programming.

Yeah once you get into it there is a lot of stuff that you need to know. I never really planned on going into a security related field after school but the degree for it is only like 3 extra classes on top of the comp sci ones, plus understanding the fundamentals of security is always a good thing. One thing that really turned me away from security is how he said almost all of those in the Computer Security field are in more of a support role, also after taking a class that touches on all of the laws, regulations, ethics and other various policies related to proper security it kind of sapped any remaining interest I had in going into the security field for work.

Pointers are pretty easy. You can always use a good leak checker to figure out if you didn't release something.

Thats pretty cool
Do the projects you do for game design involve DX11?
My only school projects left are all art-based; I'm messing around with different programming languages and APIs to see what I like. I learned DirectX9 last year, but I had to give up because the book I was using was SUPER outdated.

I figure if I practice a bit of C++ while using DirectX, I should have an easier time adapting to Unreal 4's programming system.

I was kinda debating on whether to put this in Game Design or this thread, but I went with this because this might be a bit more programming than actually making a game.

I made this kinda rough sketch of my plans for a game engine in C++/SDL while I was bored in physics class. It's not in actual code (obviously) but it at least demonstrates the game loop and object system of the thing. I wrote it with a pretty dull pencil so I'm sorry if it's a tad hard to read in places.

Is this a good way to go about the game's processes? Or is there any stuff I need to kinda add to it?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:39:30 PM by Glass Joe »

When i made a short platformer game with my friend we just sat on our asses and came up with the game design and gravity/momentum/movement scripts through experimentation. After adding onto it for a couple of weeks it ended up being pretty ok.

What things from C++14 are you actually going to use?