Programming Megathread

Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 106226 times)

honestly if you don't have the patience to learn a programming language with a book or some other text medium, I can't imagine you'll have the patience for programming, debugging, and all of the other work that goes into it

Like the reason I'd like both a video and a text guide is both because I learn much better by watching other people do it and explain how they do what they're doing, and text only will make it not as attention grabby as a video would, plus I suck at going by text / reading only. If I mess up somewhere and I have text-only, then it'll be much more confusing to me to figure out what I did wrong, and a video would help me figure it out big time

This seems okay. I skimmed through it and he was explaining the data types and how they work rather than telling you what to write without an explanation of what's happening like many seem to do.

He's also use MonoDevelop, the IDE Unity uses.
Alright cool I'll take a look, thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:20:13 PM by Insert Name Here² »

honestly if you don't have the patience to learn a programming language with a book or some other text medium, I can't imagine you'll have the patience for programming, debugging, and all of the other work that goes into it
Not entirely true, if you're an ADHD type that needs immediate reward/gratification then programming isn't necessarily difficult, just reading textbooks are.

lack of language-level classes

so lua doesn't have much ways to make classes like python or other languages do? or are you saying it's difficult to make a class using lua?

"if you can't learn things the way I do, then you'll never be good at it!"

so lua doesn't have much ways to make classes like python or other languages do? or are you saying it's difficult to make a class using lua?
python has this:

class Whatever:
  def __init__(self, stuff):
    pass

lua does not. you can make something like that with tables, which is lua's only non-primitive data type (serves the place of both lists and dictionaries). and it's not very difficult, but it could be a bother to write code for that on your own, so there are plenty of libraries already written for that purpose, like 30log or middleclass

speaking of lua, if you really wanna get into it, you should check this out
https://github.com/LewisJEllis/awesome-lua

and for... pretty much anything else programming-related:
https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome
there's all kinds of lists there, about things from programming languages to university classes to game engines
"if you can't learn things the way I do, then you'll never be good at it!"
sure sounds unreasonable when you put it that way, but I don't care how you learn it. the point is that programming requires patience. and if you don't have the patience to read, it's unlikely that you have the patience for programming. you're not gonna be able to get all your API documentation from youtube videos. troubleshooting a bug isn't particularly exciting unless you're just into that. outside of the first few times you try something out in a REPL, there's not a whole lot of instant gratification going on

im trying to get into freelance work for the sake of my resume and getting some extra spending money

sure sounds unreasonable when you put it that way, but I don't care how you learn it. the point is that programming requires patience. and if you don't have the patience to read, it's unlikely that you have the patience for programming. you're not gonna be able to get all your API documentation from youtube videos. troubleshooting a bug isn't particularly exciting unless you're just into that. outside of the first few times you try something out in a REPL, there's not a whole lot of instant gratification going on

People have different levels of patience for different types of things.  I don't have patience to read a few paragraphs let alone an entire book but yet somehow I'm able to program/debug/sift through documentation/online resources for hours on end.  There's a difference between problem solving and reading a book.  I guess it also depends on how interested someone is in programming and whether or not it's their passion.  If they're not into it, then you're right they probably won't have the patience for it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:34:28 PM by Electrk. »

python has this:

class Whatever:
    pass

lua does not. you can make something like that with tables, which is lua's only non-primitive data type (serves the place of both lists and dictionaries). and it's not very difficult, but it could be a bother to write code for that on your own, so there are plenty of libraries already written for that purpose, like 30log or middleclass

ah ok thanks

i'd think a lua documentation would educate me more on  lua but thanks for the links

People have different levels of patience for different types of things.  I don't have patience to read a few paragraphs let alone an entire book but yet somehow I'm able to program/debug/sift through documentation/online resources for hours on end.  There's a difference between problem solving and reading a book.  I guess it also depends on how interested someone is in programming and whether or not it's their passion.  If they're not into it, then you're right they probably won't have the patience for it.
yeah, everyone is different. I guess I shouldn't say such general things
ah ok thanks
i'd think a lua documentation would educate me more on  lua but thanks for the links
written by the creator of lua himself, Programming in Lua is good, and better yet, the first edition free to read online. there are newer, more up-to-date versions, but it's recent enough
the manual is of course also available, but more focused on being a reference for the language itself and its libraries than actually teaching you how to write lua code

it's also good codewars is also going to put lua on the site too

can someone give me an in-depth detail of class'es in python because im still kind of confused as to what they act as
also send me it as a PM

can someone give me an in-depth detail of class'es in python because im still kind of confused as to what they act as
do you not know what classes are in ANY language or just python
because if it's the second one then they do the same things they do in other languages
also send me it as a PM
no. why? that's pointless. someone else might have the same question

So im trying out for UIL Computer Science at my highschool, and i need some help

Whenever i try to learn programming, i cant stay on it, and what little i do learn, i forget in an hour or so, what is wrong with me and why cant i learn programming, i love it, and i want to learn it to be a software developer, hopefully for the military, what can i do to learn it and stick to it?

python has this:

class Whatever:
    pass

Code: [Select]
Whatever = {}
Whatever_mt = { __index = Whatever };

function Whatever:create(stuff)
 local new = {}
 setmetatable(new, Whatever_mt)
 -- stuff
 return new