Author Topic: Programming Megathread  (Read 106242 times)

Because of a lack of features and limitations of structured programming
huh
Like what?

I'm guessing you need java to get a programming/science degree, huh
I work as a programmer and I have zero java experience
So no, not really

Nope, my program starts the first year with java then does c++. Then it's concepts and a lot less programming after the first half of junior year

I work as a programmer and I have zero java experience
So no, not really
Nope, my program starts the first year with java then does c++. Then it's concepts and a lot less programming after the first half of junior year
sounds good

maybe I'll pursue a career in programming then

You could probably get it with any other programming language. C, C++, and others are used a lot more than java usually when dealing with programming.

Java is kinda just "faster" to get a working prototype up.

I have an S-DES assignment do for my crypto class tonight, I've been chugging away at it today without really going back to make sure I'm following the algorithm correctly. But I think it's right, I've checked all the parts of it as I went but never the final result.

Take a look at my hatchet job!

One major pet peeve is people using string datatypes when other, more strongly typed type are available.
For example, using strings of 1s and 0s instead of byte arrays

Once you do that:
if ((inputOne == '1' && inputTwo == '0') || (inputOne == '0' && inputTwo == '1'))
   inputOne = '1';

else
   inputOne = '0';

can be simplified to use the existing bitwise xor operator:
inputOne = inputOne ^ inputTwo;

Also, return is a statement, not a function: return x;, not return(x);
The latter may work but it looks odd
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:51:47 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

I have an S-DES assignment do for my crypto class tonight, I've been chugging away at it today without really going back to make sure I'm following the algorithm correctly. But I think it's right, I've checked all the parts of it as I went but never the final result.

You have a crypto class?! Lucky...

One major pet peeve is people using string datatypes when other, more strongly typed type are available.
For example, using strings of 1s and 0s instead of byte arrays

I know what I'm doing is probably the worst way to go about it, but I'm gonna be honest and say I don't have a great grasp on how to do byte arrays. I'm pretty confident it would of actually been more straight forward to handle it as bytes since that's how it's actually supposed to work. But like I said, it's a hatchet job

You have a crypto class?! Lucky...

It's the only class involving cryptology like that which is weird, since I'm getting a degree in Computer Security. Most of the other Comp Sec specific classes are in the realm of IT and network management which blows since I wanna do software engineering.

Because of a lack of features and limitations of structured programming
do you mean functional? that's my guess. I don't like functional programming

It's the only class involving cryptology like that which is weird, since I'm getting a degree in Computer Security. Most of the other Comp Sec specific classes are in the realm of IT and network management which blows since I wanna do software engineering.
I don't even know if my university has a course on cryptography, there is one called "Computer Security" but that's all I could find. "Computer security and information management. This course will examine state-of-the-art knowledge about the issues relevant to data and computer security."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:07:21 PM by Ipquarx »

I don't even know if my university has a course on cryptography, there is one called "Computer Security" but that's all I could find. "Computer security and information management. This course will examine state-of-the-art knowledge about the issues relevant to data and computer security."
Come to my university <3
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/cg/cg_detail.aspx?content=2060EECS388001
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/cg/cg_detail.aspx?content=2060EECS475001

man i wish i could learn a thing or two from you guys

man i wish i could learn a thing or two from you guys
just ask

If you get what this is without googling it, you get a cookie.
 :(){ :|:& };:

bob don't make the scheduler sad