Blockland Forums > Modification Help

Board Organization / Merging

<< < (2/17) > >>

TheBlackParrot:
I like the idea of splitting addon development into its own board (not EVERYTHING is gamemode/server theme/etc. related), and keeping the previous modification help topics all contained in their own board.
It makes it a little bit more easier to search and sift through; I searched specifically on the Coding Help board quite a bit, and I can see this potentially clogging up results with less relevant results.

Conan:

--- Quote from: TheBlackParrot on October 29, 2015, 12:43:23 AM ---I like the idea of splitting addon development into its own board (not EVERYTHING is gamemode/server theme/etc. related), and keeping the previous modification help topics all contained in their own board.
It makes it a little bit more easier to search and sift through; I searched specifically on the Coding Help board quite a bit, and I can see this potentially clogging up results with less relevant results.

--- End quote ---
this

merging mod dev topics with GD is a really bad idea on the scale of merging Creativity with Community Projects (before it got renamed) as the content people expect in each board is vastly different.
honestly having a first page of a board not completely update every other month isn't that bad for boards which are basically set aside for modders/those looking to learn how to mod. mixing it in with the general population which doesn't give a stuff would only cram everyone in the same traincar and make organized discussion difficult and probably unintentionally encourage pointless points of "cool" and "when will you be done" in dev threads.

Mod disc had a reputation (from my pov) to be a relatively safe place to release betas which would only be seen by the small % of users who would actually give constructive feedback and update the mod regularly. If topics like Slayer dev are put on GD, common users who don't know better wouldn't understand that the slayer download in the dev topic is expected buggy and complain about it being a bad mod despite the stable version posted in Add-Ons.

i still think coding help should be separate, but it may not be totally necessary to go back and pull all the posts out and put it back. Coding help was a good place to drop in with one-off questions (ex: how to do raycast explosion), which just clutters actual mod. dev. projects off the first page. simply reinstating the board with the original sticky posts would probably be enough.
also what happened to being able to post in "stickied" coding help topics? Not sure if you noticed my post in the other thread since they all were deleted.

Dannu:
It was the general consensus from when the precedent was raised that modification help board is kept seperate from mod. discussion. The audience in the former is very mature and if someone wants help on coding their project it can get easily derailed with people suggesting and requesting content.

shitlord:
will you ever upgrade the blockland forums to a newer version of SMF

TheBlackParrot:

--- Quote from: stufflord on October 29, 2015, 02:07:48 AM ---will you ever upgrade the blockland forums to a newer version of SMF

--- End quote ---
why bother? he's added in custom stuff to the forums,  it wouldn't be worth the time to recode it all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version