Author Topic: So the forums is now unblocked at my school  (Read 1686 times)

My school recently "upgraded" its wi-fi blocking system. A lot of the net radios I listen to are now blocked, but on the upside the forums are now available :D. Only problem is, I can't see images because most of them come from imgur or similar sites.

And yes, I know I could use a proxy but I don't feel like fiddling with it, nor do I want to risk getting into trouble.

So, what about you guys? How efficient is your school/workplace/etc blocking system?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:06:55 AM by curiosblockland6 »

If your school is using a software program that they don't moderate expect it to be blocked very soon

Mine knows how to block most ports used by proxies, but I can still use VPNs to bypass the system. Ive done it for three years and havent gotten caught once.

Ours is very annoying to say the least.
Blockand Forums has never been blocked, but some sites (including sites with the tags 'Web Hosting') are blocked.
Some of the main image services that this forum uses -- Imgur -- is blocked as well.

proxies don't do stuff with my school's blocker, so I usually just use my phone's service

If your school is using a software program that they don't moderate expect it to be blocked very soon
So you're saying the program would be smart enough to recognize the forums as a "bad" website and block it?
Mine knows how to block most ports used by proxies, but I can still use VPNs to bypass the system. Ive done it for three years and havent gotten caught once.
Interesting. If I get bored at the end of the year I might mess with that kind of stuff. Not terribly urgent to do it currently.

So you're saying the program would be smart enough to recognize the forums as a "bad" website and block it?Interesting. If I get bored at the end of the year I might mess with that kind of stuff. Not terribly urgent to do it currently.
VPNs are common to do this but some schools have smarty IT pros as admins who can block VPNs too

it's not really an automated program that just blocks stuff

If your school is like my school, they're paying for a program and behind the program are people who check websites that students recently visit. They check the website to make sure it's educational or w/e and if it's not, they block it.

I've managed to visit a site on my own just a couple times to find out next week it got blocked

BLF is randomly blocked and unblocked at my school, I think one of my teachers is one of us.

BLF is randomly blocked and unblocked at my school, I think one of my teachers is one of us.
taboo

it's not really an automated program that just blocks stuff

If your school is like my school, they're paying for a program and behind the program are people who check websites that students recently visit. They check the website to make sure it's educational or w/e and if it's not, they block it.

I've managed to visit a site on my own just a couple times to find out next week it got blocked
I see, that makes sense. It's no wonder blocking software can be very expensive at times. I will do some research on my school's "ContentKeeper" to find out just how powerful it is.
He could be you... He could be me...

it was always a secret desire of mine to find out one of my teachers plays bl or uses the forums or is affiliated with this place in some way

like, what if it turned out to be a teacher i never talked to before? would we just pass in the halls or something and give that nod of understanding and thats as far as communication would go? what if he or she turned out to be a massive friend? if a teacher were to use the forums id imagine they'd be memelords just cus thats how some teachers think you have to be to be cool in the eyes of students

golly so many questions.....

my school eventually cracked down on the proxies i was using from other people, so i ended up making my own and it worked about as much as i needed it to. i couldnt watch videos or log in to anything, but i could at least browse what ever i wanted

Never did like the blocking system in my school, it's rather questionable and gets in the way most of time instead of trying to help. The forums is blocked for "Games", if it wasn't for that it probably also be blocked for "Forum" like in my older school.

I'm pretty sure the system is automated too, I believe it just picks out keywords in websites and more popular well known sites are blocked manually.

He could be you... He could be me...
Look for the balloon tie nerd.

image sites are blocked which means I can't really participate in the YXYL threads while in school.