A question for math people

Author Topic: A question for math people  (Read 878 times)

What is this function? I thought it would be logarithmic until I learned that in y = log(x), y has no limit.

Ideally it would start at 0 and get closer and closer to 1 without actually reaching it.

well
it certainly isnt a circular curve
you've got that going for you

Looks like an asymptote to me. I'm not actually a math person so I may have misinterpreted your question.

Edit: Actually, I think asymptotes approach zero. Whoops.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:36:18 AM by Bloody Mary »

The parent function may be x^3

looks like an S curve

Looks like an asymptote to me. I'm not actually a math person so I may have misinterpreted your question.

it is an asymptote, and asymptotes are not limited to 0
they can be bounded by anything, including lines and/or curves like y=x

isn't this stuff like as f(x) approaches +infinity as x approaches -infinity, and then vice versa under it

Or SQRT^3()
you would think, but no
x^(1/3) or cube root of x does not approach -1 and 1, it approaches -INF and +INF
it's possibly arctan(x), the logistic function (as phlack said), the error function, or the cumulative normal distribution

however assuming you're not in statistics, it's probably arctan or logistic

There are two horizontal asymptotes at y=1 and -1. That's not the name of the function though. Horizontal asymptotes are only the limit of the function as x->infinity.

Thats a cube root function op

Actually no it can't be because that means limx->infinity=infinity and there wouldn't be a horizontal asymptote.
I think the function you're looking for is f(x)=x/[sqrt(1+x^2)]. Someone confirm it in a graphic calc for me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:42:23 AM by Ravencroft· »

There are two horizontal asymptotes at y=1 and -1. That's not the name of the function though. Horizontal asymptotes are only the limit of the function as x->infinity.

Thats a cube root function op

Actually no it can't be because that means limx->infinity=infinity and there wouldn't be a horizontal asymptote.
I think the function you're looking for is f(x)=x/[sqrt(1+x^2)]. Someone confirm it in a graphic calc for me.
you saying math things turns me on

you saying math things turns me on
let me find the asymptote of ur curved rod pls

let me find the asymptote of ur curved rod pls
put your function into me right loving now

Ravencroft, you can just plug your equation into google. That looks like it.