Arguing Vs Friendly debates

Author Topic: Arguing Vs Friendly debates  (Read 872 times)

Am I really unusual in this?
When I get into a conversation with somebody and there's a topic we don't agree on, I don't want to just ignore it. I really enjoy talking about it and hashing it out. I like having friendly debates, a lot of the time I can get really into it too. Of course I have been trying to be careful depending on the subject and person not to delve too deep into any topics that are too touchy or won't go anywhere, but otherwise, I love to have conversations like that. But rather than just having a friendly debate, a lot of people label it as having an argument. People will get angry, offended, or start being blatantly insulting and rude, then I'm just left confused wondering what happened. Or alternatively, the conversation will go perfectly fine and other people will THINK that we were arguing.

Why is it so hard to just talk to people about things anymore without getting upset?

cuz this is the internet and the internet has lots of ppl

lots of ppl = a few crazies

This is actually talking more about in real life conversations believe it or not.

Though I guess this pertains to the internet too

I just had a conversation today with my friend who prefers classic games, we have friendly debates all the time, we're still friends.

Still doesn't change the fact he's a classic fanboy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

this wasn't arguing
it wasn't even a friendly debate
I was just TALKING. but apparently everyone thinks that everything I do is arguing now

this wasn't arguing
I was just TALKING. but apparently everyone thinks that everything I do is arguing now
you definitely seemed pretty upset about it

you definitely seemed pretty upset about it
how did I seem upset? I was upset after rally said something. but not before then

he seemed more like "oh heres some advice" rather than "YOU DID IT WRONG RRRR"

how did I seem upset? I was upset after rally said something. but not before then
I'll be honest, dude.  It's not uncommon for people here to interpret your posts as upset.

And I totally agree, OP.  I believe being able to talk about subjects that are uncomfortable to you and control your emotions and reactions are pivitol aspects of maturity.

I feel exactly the same as you do

this wasn't arguing
on the internet there are no nonverbal signals to show that you aren't arguing

If you cant have a discussion without getting worked up and emotional then you aren't a good person to talk to.

!!! NOT ARGUING !!!

on the internet there are no nonverbal signals to show that you aren't arguing
just decided on a new post format how does it look?

!!! NOT ARGUING !!!

!!! ARGUING !!!

!!! NOT ARGUING !!!
just decided on a new post format how does it look?

!!! NOT ARGUING !!!
I think it looks gay as forget

!!! ARGUING !!!

!!! ARGUING !!!
I think it looks gay as forget

!!! ARGUING !!!
!!! I'M GAY !!!

shut the forget up

!!! I'M GAY !!!