Author Topic: Buying an alt to host?  (Read 1431 times)

I've posted several threads about this problem. I have a Steam-only account but I want to host Dedicated. Should I buy an alt through Amazon so I get proper codes? I'd only use it for server hosting.
Just... Should I? Is it worth it to have a 24/7 server?

EDIT: I would have to add some $$$ to my Amazon account after buying the alt to get a Steam controller if I got that too.
I think I'm gonna get the Steam controller first, then The Forgettable Dungeon, then get a hosting alt next week...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:31:08 PM by SuperSuit12 »

You dont need an alt to host dedi, or well atleast if you mean you wanna host dedi and play at the same time. To do that, make a .bat file, and name it whatever you want. Right click the .bat and select edit. From here, copy and paste this in here.
Code: [Select]
start Blockland.exe ptlaaxobimwroe -dedicated -gamemode Your_Gamemode_Here -port 48000Example:
start Blockland.exe ptlaaxobimwroe -dedicated -gamemode Custom -port 48000Please note for this server to stay up you have to have your computer running

the main point of dedi is hosting it on another computer, isn't it? steam doesn't allow hosting on a remote server.
I've responded to you saying this before. I want a remote server where the dedi server doesn't affect my main machine.
I host a semi-regular dedi server on my machine for SuperFPS/Canyon CTF.

You dont need an alt to host dedi, or well atleast if you mean you wanna host dedi and play at the same time. To do that, make a .bat file, and name it whatever you want. Right click the .bat and select edit. From here, copy and paste this in here.
start Blockland.exe ptlaaxobimwroe -dedicated -gamemode Your_Gamemode_Here -port 48000Example:
start Blockland.exe ptlaaxobimwroe -dedicated -gamemode Custom -port 48000Please note for this server to stay up you have to have your computer running
you can't do this for steam copies of BL since steam doesnt let you run multiple instances of one game, even on the same computer. this will not work for hosting a dedi on your computer or on a vpn/dedicated machine

you will have to buy blockland through amazon if you dont have a key to do dedicated hosting; if you like to host its worth it, since its a one-time purchase thing. whats really likely to cause money issues is renting a vps to host dedi on.

You can run multiple instances of one game on the same machine, just that Darth didn't post the entire method.

The problem is that he wants to host it on a remote machine, which you cannot do with a steam copy.

I'm asking for whether it's a good idea to buy an alt to host, not whether it's neccecary. (it is, if you have steam-only.)

Whether it's a good idea or not is up to you. If you really want to host a dedicated server, then you have no choice. If you really don't want to buy a new key, then you can't host one.
It's your call on this. And to be quite honest, the game isn't that expensive.

If both the price and the need of hosting are too high, then you could always wait for a sale. Normally when Blockland is on sale on Steam, it's also on sale everywhere else you can pick it up.

According to Coolguy32, it actually is possible to host dedicated through Steam, as he does it all the time.

According to Coolguy32, it actually is possible to host dedicated through Steam, as he does it all the time.
We know that. Just can't do it remote.

When I try this through a .bat it says "please start blockland with the launcher.exe"

When I try this through a .bat it says "please start blockland with the launcher.exe"
You forgot the ptlaaxobimwroe part, then.

You forgot the ptlaaxobimwroe part, then.
always been curious what that means

is it a password of sorts?

is it a password of sorts?
yes, same thing with the setShapeName number on player objects iirc