Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 30398 times)

It has windows and stuff.  I wanted people to be able to hide in the shadows and stay away from windows. Which I can't do because of lower tier players.
Can't you build the shadow into the build by using a bit darker paint?
Then make an onPlayerTouch>Player>SetInvisible event when you touch those darker bricks?
The fog you could do with transparent untouchable ModTer cubes all over the map.

I haven't read through the whole post, so please forgive me if I got the wrong idea about your problem.

Can't you build the shadow into the build by using a bit darker paint?

That would jump my brickcount from 50,000 to 100,000+

That would jump my brickcount from 50,000 to 100,000+
Hey, at least it is a possibility =p

What I want to know is how is it possible on torque script to identify if someone is hidden in shadows and then script it to hide their node?

What I want to know is how is it possible on torque script to identify if someone is hidden in shadows and then script it to hide their node?
Well, if you predefined all the 'shadowed' areas, it wouldn't be hard to make a script that checks every so often if they are in 'shadow' and make them invisible, and make them reappear once they are not in that area. Probably the easiest way to define shadows would actually be with floor paint color, that's a pretty easy value to check for.

I made a script a while back using Port's sun vector code that detects if you are in the shadow or not (Solar Apoc does this too). It only breaks if the environment never changes after the server starts.

If anyone has been in my toy store map, the entire store is covered in shadows. There is only 1 window in that store to get actual sunlight.

I made a script a while back using Port's sun vector code that detects if you are in the shadow or not (Solar Apoc does this too). It only breaks if the environment never changes after the server starts.

We can try it out.

There is a huge difference between shadows on and shadows off. So hopefully someone can work something out here because I would like to enforce shadows on my server for specific minigames. Mostly stealth games.

Like you can barely see any doorways. Would be perfect for stealth assassination games.

Maybe you can shoot a raycast at the sun from the player or the other way around.

We must.... corrupt them.

there's that solar apocalypse mod that hurts you if you're outside in the sun

Maybe you can shoot a raycast at the sun from the player or the other way around.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=241022.0 - use this for finding if something is in a shadow + other daycycle functions

Though I am sort of late on the off-topic argument, I'll input my own experience as I currently have a low-end (duo-core).

I can play Half-Life 2 on 30 fps with pretty high settings (excluding AA).
I can play Blockland on ~14 fps with relatively high (for the game) settings + minimum shaders.

That's it.

On topic, it appears Despair Syndrome achieves to force darkness to people without shaders, with some sort of "sphere of vision", and beyond it pitch black "fog".