How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29477 times)

the field didn't really look like fog (if you had shaders off i think???) but it worked and that's what matters
With shaders off, the block of vision of distant objects is a result of an extremely low visible distance as well.

but fog does show up, yes
it just doesn't look like fog though
on despair syndrome, you can't see 4 feet in front of you, it's just a big black square

actually i was wrong about fog distance, its the visible distance setting in the env gui. sorry about that

this is what it looks like for reference

Probably means the view distance. Even on off, lowering the view distance will prevent things that aren't close to you from rendering.

Granted this isn't helpful if you want to see things that aren't within your immediate surroundings.

EDIT: Yes, what gyty said.

Off setting:
Decals show up in the dark
Faces show up in the dark
prints show up in the dark
studs show up in the dark
no fog
flashlights can't work

Minimum setting:
Decals don't show up in the dark.
faces don't show up in the dark.
prints don't show up in the dark.
studs don't show up in the dark.
fog
flashlights can work
little to no drop in performance (may even improve)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:17:57 PM by Lord Tony® »

All i know is that substandard intel cards can't support minimum and substandard intel cards are below average cards basically meant for just office work.

but fog does show up, yes
it just doesn't look like fog though
on despair syndrome, you can't see 4 feet in front of you, it's just a big black square

actually i was wrong about fog distance, its the visible distance setting in the env gui. sorry about that
[img ]http://puu.sh/nlyUb/303c249f7e.jpg[/img]
this is what it looks like for reference

While such a thing does kinda work, the objects are still brightly visible in the bottom there. Not only is the whole "big wall of black 3" in front of you" thing extraordinary impractical, but you would also still be able to clearly see players and objects in the dark, you'd just have to get close to them. Still an advantage.

It also makes flashlights and torches impossible to use, which kinda voids the point of having a dark enviornment in blockland lol

I added flashlights to my list.

The people that can't support minimum can barely even support Blockland in general. The game will start to drop in performance with just under 10,000 bricks.

what you guys are debating is the equivalent of dropping everyone who doesn't pay more than the minimum for their taxes from their homes

what you guys are debating is the equivalent of dropping everyone who doesn't pay more than the minimum for their taxes from their homes

If people want to play blockland below minimum just to build, that's fine. I see no problem in that, I do that as well.

Some servers require people with higher end PCs just to make sure their gamemodes function correctly. I've seen specific gamemodes that stopped development because not everyone met the requirement graphically needed to get the gamemode to work correctly.

If you can set the shaders/shadow graphics to a server side setting with custom settings that would be ideal. So If I want everyone to have shaders on clients could at least use the low setting and if they can't support that then they can't join until I turn it off.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:32:06 PM by Lord Tony® »

I always play on minimum. It's just like the higher settings without the shadows, it's awesome

Sifting through this thread makes me happy that Lord Tony isn't in charge of Blockland. Personally I have shaders turned off, not just because my computer doesn't render shadows correctly, but because the specular highlight effect is too intense. Not to mention server admins don't know how to make a decent-looking environment.

Also I like it when my computer doesn't sound like a tornado.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:32:51 AM by Squideey »

Minimum setting:
Decals don't show up in the dark.
faces don't show up in the dark.
prints don't show up in the dark.
studs don't show up in the dark.
fog
flashlights can work
little to no drop in performance (may even improve)
i have contentions over the last point - since when did rendering more particles and basic shadows/shine improve performance (referencing the fog and shine)
The impact is not heavy, though, as you said. Unlike actual shadows it doesn't ramp up a ton per extra brick rendered.

i have contentions over the last point - since when did rendering more particles and basic shadows/shine improve performance (referencing the fog and shine)

Because

Minimum shaders are actually far more optimized than the old rendering system. You can tell this because on higher end computers, minimum shaders will actually pull more frames than the old rendering system. This is because the new rendering system takes advantage of a number of rendering features that today are built directly into the hardware of a graphics card, so there really is a lot of truth in 'anything made this decade' as being able to run the new graphics.

Sifting through this thread makes me happy that Lord Tony isn't in charge of Blockland. Personally I have shaders turned off, not just because my computer doesn't render shadows correctly, but because the specular highlight effect is too intense. Not to mention server admins don't know how to make a decent-looking environment.

Also I like it when my computer doesn't sound like a tornado.
I agree, and I hate that one spot in the ground that the shaders make way too bright