How do we force darkness on people without shaders?

Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 29478 times)

What engine would you suggest it uses? I actually haven't seen any engine that integrates modding as well as ancient tork.

Good question! I'm not all too sure, because I have no idea what engines other than Source support modding. Would Unity support modding?

Would be nice if we could see what a client's shader setting was set to. Could just kill/kick/drop people from the minigame if they have it set to OFF

You can use a client add-on to see or set it, like in the Imscared Gamemode (search it.)

As long as it isn't source engine. I like Blockland's add-on system better than Gary's Mod.

Actually, the two don't appear to have any significant difference.

You could create a new engine from scratch that does everything blockland needs perfectly, and call it the Brick Engine.

The problem is finding someone willing to do this...

Would Unity support modding?

You'd have to create all modding support yourself from scratch, and you don't have access to the c++ source so it'd be a pain to make anything optimized.

I've been following this thread closely ever since I posted and I feel like we've gone quite a bit off topic. We were supposed to find ways to show proper darkness to people with shaders disabled and additionally come up with strategies to prevent cheating. Not post pages of messages bitching about low-end hardware. If people can't use shaders, that's their loss.

This fog does not appear in the off setting. Fog use to be the standard for every setting until 2012 rolled out with shadows/shaders. Now fog was moved to minimum.
This I did not know. Why is the fog not enabled with shaders off? I actually had to check in-game because I did not believe you. What changed because the fog used to work before shaders came around?

In other words the two features, shadows and fog, that can be used to simulate darkness and indeed counteract people using shaders to brighten the screen, are only enabled for people with shaders on. I'm starting to see where all the bitching comes from. This sucks.

Refer to this post to see how ReShade can be used to nullify standard near-pitch-black lighting: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=288315.msg8905041#msg8905041

Like I and others have mentioned before, making shadows pitch black prevents anyone from seeing anything in a shadow because you can't brighten any minor differences in brightness when there are none: https://imgur.com/a/2ihWI

Here's a possible solution to the stealth problem (but not the darkness): fog.
  • Low visible distance
  • Zero fog distance
  • White fog and sky
  • All black lighting
  • Sun under the world

This cannot be easily canceled out with shaders because the full range from black to white is present in the image. See the album: https://imgur.com/a/9lxpC
I can change the contrast a little bit with ReShade to push back the fog but the effect is not game breaking. In interiors (image #3) ReShade is actually detrimental. Sure you could probably write your own shaders to do some kind of edge detection or do more advanced stuff than just gamma/contrast/brightness.

Here the name of the game is hugging the wall. The closer your body is to another surface larger than your body, the more invisible you are. The extreme fog essentially turns the image into a depth buffer. See image #4 where I'm standing next to a wall on the right side of the image in plain view. (The player model is actually quite a bit more visible in the game. Taking a screenshot somehow crushes the colors?) The same scene from the perspective of the player seen in image #4: image #5. As you can see, standing out in the open makes you stand out more.

The fog rendering has a minor bug though. See these two images: #3 & #5
Pay attention to the ground. Larger plates are lighter in color causing these jarring jumps in color.

However, this does not work when the shaders are off. (See the last three images.) Then I can just use the standard night brightening shaders.

The only solution I can think of is a server side setting that requires the clients to have at least the specified level of shaders enabled to connect. (It probably only makes sense to limit it to Minimum or Low.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:05:38 AM by Demian »

So what we really need is to force fog for people with the off setting, if possible.

Shaders is the equivalent to the off setting. Both settings do not have shadows or darkness settings but that fog setting is the only thing that is keeping people from being able to see in broad daylight.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:35:24 AM by Lord Tony® »

There is a significant difference between the two. We just need our fog back.

Off still looks kinda good, but the inside light does ruin it.

the fog masks the light making the build appear darker and harder to see.

You can't see what the blockhead bot even looks like with fog on.

the fog masks the light making the build appear darker and harder to see.

You can't see what the blockhead bot even looks like with fog on.
Yeah, this kind of stuff is why I'm getting a new computer.

I took more pictures with shadows on and off to further prove my point. Minimum is essentially the "off" setting. As in minimum does not display shadows or darkness. When you add shadows there is almost no difference between minimum and low - max. The fog simulates darkness, which is why the off setting needs it.

I took more pictures with shadows on and off to further prove my point. Minimum is essentially the "off" setting. As in minimum does not display shadows or darkness. When you add shadows there is almost no difference between minimum and low - max. The fog simulates darkness, which is why the off setting needs it.
Indeed. When the sun is underground the entire world is in shadow so there are no shadows to render. Thus there is no difference between max and minimum shaders.

Honestly, we do get the point, we did like, the first time you said it, but still, I can understand if you want to kick people from the server/minigame if they have no shaders which ruins a game mode.

Indeed. When the sun is underground the entire world is in shadow so there are no shadows to render. Thus there is no difference between max and minimum shaders.

When the sun is underground the entire world may be a shadow but anyone with the off setting can make their world appear to be brighter than it actually is.

I'm going to make a stealth game in the dark anyways but without the fog there is no point.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:06:54 AM by Lord Tony® »

When the sun is underground the entire world may be a shadow but anyone with the off setting can make their world appear to be brighter than it actually is.
Which brings us back to the crux of the issue. Regardless of what kind of tricks you use to make the world seem dark, turning off shaders breaks that. In my opinion the only solution to this is the minimum required shader setting on a server. Completely removing the off setting is a ridiculous idea. Unless of course you cannot reliably force people from the server-side to use a specific shader level. In that case we're stuff out of luck I guess.

Edit: To clarify, this is something that Badspot needs to do. It would be pointless to make a client add-on that does something like this because you can modify the code of the client add-on and break it. It needs to default functionality to work.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:24:59 AM by Demian »

Even in full daylight fog makes builds appear darker. It gives off the illusion.

OFF

MINIMUM
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:13:50 AM by Lord Tony® »

Obviously you'd have server side settings to require specific graphics settings for gamemodes that don't work otherwise.
I don't see how that's obvious. if badspot put something like that in the game I'm pretty sure it would be a first
like there's no reason whatsoever to expect that. gmod, for example, doesn't have a setting like that. I've never heard of a game that does
you don't have access to the c++ source
you do if you pay for it