Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 30137 times)

Really? I can't do anything darkness related if people can't support it.
you can do it
you just can't have a bright environment and a dark environment in the same server

and what do you mean physics

If there is absolutely no way to force darkness we may have to develop a way to detect if people have shaders off so we can kick them out of the game. Which is not something I want to do but if there is no other way around it then there is no other way.
Make a client-sided addon to check for the value of $Pref::ShaderQuality, and send it to the server. If it's at least 1, let them play. Otherwise, let them spectate along with those that do not have the client addon.

just some serverCmd/clientCmd functions is all that would take

Make a client-sided addon to check for the value of $Pref::ShaderQuality, and send it to the server. If it's at least 1, let them play. Otherwise, let them spectate along with those that do not have the client addon.

just some serverCmd/clientCmd functions is all that would take
how would players get the addon

I've had these $10 dollar grandma email checkers demand I clear my build so they can build because my build is simply too much for their computer to handle.

and what do you mean physics

I was on a server that made a Rube Goldberg machine. To anyone with physics set to best you would be able to see this crazy funny contraption.

To anyone with physics off the entire machine just falls through the floor.

I also made a method of having physic bricks kill players. However people with physics off were complaining about dying from an invisible object they can't see because they have physics off.

how would players get the addon
uh, give them the link over a chat message...? :/

uh, give them the link over a chat message...? :/
reminds me of the BBB gamemode

They could always just enable shaders then take it off and no one would know.

They could always just enable shaders then take it off and no one would know.
ah yeah that's true, even with a server-sided loop to check for responses from players, they could still circumvent that

I think negative light bricks are the only way to go despite being impractical.

One great thing about console games is that everyone has the same hardware so games aren't held back because one person doesn't have the right computer part. This goes for all multiplayer PC games.

So for the people who can't support shaders they have a significant advantage over those who can. People without shaders can see in the dark better.  The timescale could be set to day time but since my castle is very enclosed the shaders will make the inside incredibly dark but without shaders it's as bright as ever.

How can we just make specific areas dark without requiring shadows? There was once a light brick which was actual negative light and it made specific areas darker than others, I'm sure we can reintroduce something similar to that.

if you take off the brick images and make them blank (so they have no lines), it makes everything "dark" so the player can only see darkness at nightime, the method works with shaders on as-well with the same outcome.

if you take off the brick images and make them blank (so they have no lines), it makes everything "dark" so the player can only see darkness at nightime, the method works with shaders on as-well with the same outcome.

I have anti glow lines that prevent this.

This isn't what I am looking for because I want buildings to be dark in the inside with a daytime environment.

I have anti glow lines that prevent this.

This isn't what I am looking for because I want buildings to be dark in the inside with a daytime environment.

Ah dang, then I'm not sure.
Was worth a shot though.

Shaders are gross because its makes daylight enviroments dark as forget. I can run max shaders no problems but it just looks disgusting.