Poll

Would you be able to run Blockland if shaders forced minimum?

Yes
79 (87.8%)
No
11 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: How do we force darkness on people without shaders?  (Read 30307 times)

Shaders are gross because its makes daylight enviroments dark as forget.

That's the point. Either open up a window or add some lights.

The game was still playable after maps

If the game is still not 'playable' for you on minimum it is 100% your fault and I don't see why it's my problem. If you play video games you should invest in a gaming computer. It is clear you do not take the gaming industry very seriously if you think OFF shaders are even remotely close to the current industry standard.

It's pretty comedic that you can pretend to be a part of the PC gaming community, and try to speak for them, when you don't own a computer that can handle Blockland on minimum. Can you run Minecraft with the 'fancy' graphics setting set to ON?

I don't understand how anything gaming related is being held back because some people are less fortunate than others.

My friend lives in a downtown Atlanta ghetto in a 4 room house that has a shower in the kitchen and his computer blows your computer out of the park. He can play GTAV on the highest settings, and his internet connection is faster than mine. You know why? Because he takes it seriously. Instead of loving around with some pleb tier $5 GPU and expecting game developers to throttle their game design to cater to him, he goes out and buys the proper equipment for the hobby he enjoys.

If you cannot run a game because your computer is garbage that is your fault and in this scenario it is a hindrance to me and others. Professional skateboarders do not ride on Walmart boards. Professional race car drivers do not race in $250 used toyotas. Industries progress, and when people like you complain about not being able to keep up and forcing us to slow down to cater specifically to you, you hinder us.

Rest assured however: In the event that the Blocklander standard for shaders rises from non-existent to minimum, and you somehow can't handle this, you can still download an out-dated version with out-dated graphics.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:05:56 AM by Rally »

Shaders are gross because its makes daylight enviroments dark as forget. I can run max shaders no problems but it just looks disgusting.

Shaders are gross because its makes daylight enviroments dark as forget. I can run max shaders no problems but it just looks disgusting.

you can use ambient light to simulate fullbright environments lol

So what rally is saying is... Forego food, rent and tuition and spend money on a hobby?
And that its our fault we can't do that?

And that its our fault we can't do that?

Well it's certainly not my fault that you cannot afford decent hardware alongside rent

a bunch of biased crap
As I'm not an all-out computer geek, I don't know why my computer acts like this with BL shaders, but unlike having the graphics settings set to max on other games such as Minecraft, or Fallout, my computer just can't handle the shaders for some reason. And also, if I lived in a place like where your Atalanta friend does, I wouldn't spend a stuffload of money on a GPU so that I can run this game I like. Some people don't want to have to spend money not only for the game itself, but also equipment in order to run the game, just from my experience. Believe it or not, not everyone that plays the game wants to be all special and have the capability to support it. There is this thing called "fun" that 99% of people like, and think that you shouldn't have to pay wads of money to have the way you want it. Sure, I can understand being frustrated that people are complaining while they're trying to play Blockland on a raspberry pi, but seriously, you shouldn't require a hardcore gaming computer to support a game you just want to play every once in a while to build some crap you had in your head. Playing a sandbox game for your life just isn't a thing.

As I'm not an all-out computer geek, I don't know why my computer acts like this with BL shaders, but unlike having the graphics settings set to max on other games such as Minecraft, or Fallout, my computer just can't handle the shaders for some reason.

Minecraft and Fallout 1 do not have 'max settings'. Neither of these games have half the lighting complexity that Blockland does.

-unintelligible-

Running Blockland on minimum doesn't take a super computer. If you cannot afford hardware that can run Blockland on minimum, or even Low, you should consider spending less time playing Blockland and more time looking for a second job. Everything in life costs money, I don't know what to tell you.

I can't really understand what you're trying to say anyway. Yeah some people don't want to spend money on decent equipment. I guess some people are okay with severely limited atmospheric flexibility when it comes to making builds on blockland. Not sure. It's not bias by the way, it's a pretty objective fact that if your computer cannot run Blockland on minimum, then it can't compete with the video game market.

But hey, either way, there's no need to be so afraid of change. If there comes a time when you are faced with having to upgrade from your Compaq t1010 Terminal to a modern gaming computer in order to play video games, you can always just download an old version of Blockland and play by yourself on your archaic graphics settings with your prehistoric hardware.

I'd also like to reiterate that my idea isn't to completely wipe the OFF setting away from Blockland (though I still think it's an entirely justifiable decision) but rather allow the host to enforce a certain standard for his server.

In Gmod if your computer can't handle specific server requirements you will be banned off.

I'm not sure why you seem to keep bringing me into this, as if I have a bad computer. I have never once said this would impact me in any shape or form. Not going to even bother reading it because after skimming it, it seems like nothing but personal.

For me and many other people, minimum (as a reminder, this setting does not have shadows) run much much faster than the off setting.
I can personally run med/high
I would love it if we could at least force minimum. But it's not going to be done because there will be an impact on the playerbase.

I'd also like to reiterate that my idea isn't to completely wipe the OFF setting away from Blockland (though I still think it's an entirely justifiable decision) but rather allow the host to enforce a certain standard for his server.
An idea that not only wasn't being argued against but also the idea you did not state till after arguing for the setting being outright removed.

I'm not sure why you seem to keep bringing me into this, as if I have a bad computer. I have never once said this would impact me in any shape or form. Not going to even bother reading it because after skimming it, it seems like nothing but personal.

I was using you as an example for the people you defend. Just copy-paste it into a notepad document and use CTRL-H to replace 'you' with 'bad-computer joe' and maybe you won't get as personally offended when you read it.

An idea that not only wasn't being argued against but also the idea you did not state till after arguing for the setting being outright removed.

Why even respond dude?

If the game is still not 'playable' for joe on minimum it is 100% joe's fault and I don't see why it's my problem. If joe plays video games joe should invest in a gaming computer. It is clear joe does not take the gaming industry very seriously if joe thinks OFF shaders are even remotely close to the current industry standard.
Well. It is a 10 year old game. Do you also expect Half-Life to suddenly remove support for lower graphics settings just because of the 'current industry standard'? I don't blame Joe for prioritizing in more important things in his life while still believing he should be able to enjoy some quality casual video game entertainment.
It's pretty comedic that joe can pretend to be a part of the PC gaming community, and try to speak for them, when joe don't own a computer that can handle Blockland on minimum. Can joe run Minecraft with the 'fancy' graphics setting set to ON?
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure who Joe is nor whether or not he's a fan of Minecraft at all. Minecraft is also a poor example to include in anything ever because the game was so inefficient that the community had to make a mod to make the game actually playable with a respectable view distance.
My friend lives in a downtown Atlanta ghetto in a 4 room house that has a shower in the kitchen and his computer blows joe's computer out of the park. He can play GTAV on the highest settings, and his internet connection is faster than mine. does joe know why? Because he takes it seriously. Instead of loving around with some pleb tier $5 GPU and expecting game developers to throttle their game design to cater to him, he goes out and buys the proper equipment for the hobby he enjoys.
Nice to see your friend takes his video game hobby much more seriously than finding a way into a better home. I think he's holding something much more valuable back than the development Badspot isn't going to do regardless.

If joe cannot run a game because joe's computer is garbage that is joe's fault and in this scenario it is a hindrance to me and others.
Not exactly. I see plenty of new games that Joe's computer likely cannot handle. Which is why he doesn't buy them. He instead, several years ago, bought a game his computer could handle.
Professional skateboarders do not ride on Walmart boards.
Are you comparing professional skateboarders to kids playing a video game? People who make money and fame through sponsorship and competition, to someone killing some time after coming home from school/some stuff part time job.
Professional race car drivers do not race in $250 used toyotas.
Same as above.

Notice a word you're using here. Professional. Are you a professional gamer? Do you play video games for a living? Do video games pay your bills? Do you know the difference between a professional and someone who's just looking for some entertainment in their downtime?

Industries progress, and when people like joe complain about not being able to keep up and forcing us to slow down to cater specifically to joe, joe hinders us.
And the industry is progressing, whether people like Joe complain or not. I'm not sure if you've noticed any games that have come out this year, or plan on coming out next year. A number of them certainly look much better and require a much better machine than good ol' 10 year old Blockland. I don't think Joe hinders Blockland either. It's definitely the developers and/or the engine.

Rest assured however: In the event that the Blocklander standard for shaders rises from non-existent to minimum, and joe somehow can't handle this, joe can still download an out-dated version with out-dated graphics.
Or the population simply drops. As poor ol' Joe had to buy some food after paying his ever so steadily increasing hydro bill. It's unfortunate for you that he didn't decide to put himself in a hole because he decided living is better than gaming. Now the industry is held back! I can just hear No Man's Sky developers right now, racing to arms to cut out as much detail as they can.

Or maybe Joe is spending his money on a better skateboard, or race car. Because he's a professional.

If you can't support minimum or low you have a terrible PC.

If you can't support minimum or low you have a terrible PC.
Well I mean low just looks disgusting so you're better off with minimum