Author Topic: props and placement tool  (Read 1600 times)

What i need is a tool that allows the player to pick from a selection of props and then be able to place them. Like the brick selector only with props.

You can only place one prop, after doing so there is a 5 second cooldown before placing another

Here are the props i need:

barbed wire (Slows down and slightly damages player)
Infantry Barricade
1x4x5 (LxWxH) Barricade for windows
1x4x6 (LxWxH) Barricade for default doors

this sounds wayyyy over complicated
just use brick tab for these kind of things
you can still do the cooldown thing
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:47:28 PM by shitlord »

this sounds wayyyy over complicated
just made brick tab for these kind of things
you can still do the cooldown thing
We cant just modify the Brick planter and make it so it can be an item? I want this for minigames that dont allow building, and only one slayer team gets this tool.

would it be possible to make two different minigames?
like they could both interact with eachother but each game was a team

OP actually has an interesting idea here.

would it be possible to make two different minigames?
like they could both interact with eachother but each game was a team
No it wouldnt work, im using server events and other events that are heavily focused around one minigame.

So if I'm not wrong, what you're looking for is a server sided catalogue of dupsaves/duploads that are placed with a certain tool, that are placed on a possible cooldown and/or score/variable cost?

So if I'm not wrong, what you're looking for is a server sided catalogue of dupsaves/duploads that are placed with a certain tool, that are placed on a possible cooldown and/or score/variable cost?
yes but they dont have to be dup load/saves they can be .DTS models, custom bricks or maybe vehicles if people are willing to put in the work.

in addition the brick menu would be limited to only being able to place these special bricks/dups (which could be picked in the brick menu) and would not be able to be placed outside of minigames

I really like this idea.

I know they aren't going to be dup load/saves, was just a easy thing to compare it to. I believe I have an idea.

The server host or builder or whoever can place a 'prop plate' outside of the minigame, while working on the build or something. On this plate, you can place special events which determine the functionality of the prop. For example...
A normal event normally looks like this:
onActivate > Player > setHealth > [#health]
Where a prop plate would look more like:
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Unrestricted/Required] [# points] [Reduce/Save]
So
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Required] [20] [Save]  - This would require the player to have a score of at least 20 to place, but would not subtract the player's points.
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Unrestricted] [20] [Reduce]  - Placing this would reduce the player's score by 20, but allows them to go negative.

PropPlate > Condition > Cooldown > etc
Energy, health, VCEVariable, SlayerTeam, etc.

And then for the actual prop:
PropPlate > Spawn > Bricks > [Public/Minigame/Player/Owner]  - This would spawn the bricks that were placed on top of the prop plate, most likely in ghost brick format. The list is for who will own the bricks. Public = public bricks. Minigame = minigame owner. Player = the player spawning the prop. Owner = the player who owns the prop plate.

or

PropPlate > Spawn > Vehicle > [vehicle datablock]

How does this sound before I go and start working on it?

in addition the brick menu would be limited to only being able to place these special bricks/dups (which could be picked in the brick menu) and would not be able to be placed outside of minigames
I'm going to avoid the brick menu considering it'd be damn well impossible to properly incorporate it into this idea. And if there's going to be a client sided add-on, it may as well get it's own GUI.

-Snip-
Who are you and why did god send you to this forum topic.

OT: Your idea sounds brilliant. I can provide some UI sounds for the GUI such as selection and navigation sounds.
Cant wait for progress. If any of you are wondering im basing this idea off of Rainbow Six Seige's Construction system, and if we get far enough maybe we can replicate Project Reality's Construction system.

Who are you and why did god send you to this forum topic.
Been wanting to work on something, it's been a while. This is very good idea. I'll keep you updated on progress.

I know they aren't going to be dup load/saves, was just a easy thing to compare it to. I believe I have an idea.

The server host or builder or whoever can place a 'prop plate' outside of the minigame, while working on the build or something. On this plate, you can place special events which determine the functionality of the prop. For example...
A normal event normally looks like this:
onActivate > Player > setHealth > [#health]
Where a prop plate would look more like:
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Unrestricted/Required] [# points] [Reduce/Save]
So
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Required] [20] [Save]  - This would require the player to have a score of at least 20 to place, but would not subtract the player's points.
PropPlate > Condition > Score > [Unrestricted] [20] [Reduce]  - Placing this would reduce the player's score by 20, but allows them to go negative.

PropPlate > Condition > Cooldown > etc
Energy, health, VCEVariable, SlayerTeam, etc.

And then for the actual prop:
PropPlate > Spawn > Bricks > [Public/Minigame/Player/Owner]  - This would spawn the bricks that were placed on top of the prop plate, most likely in ghost brick format. The list is for who will own the bricks. Public = public bricks. Minigame = minigame owner. Player = the player spawning the prop. Owner = the player who owns the prop plate.

or

PropPlate > Spawn > Vehicle > [vehicle datablock]

How does this sound before I go and start working on it?

I'm going to avoid the brick menu considering it'd be damn well impossible to properly incorporate it into this idea. And if there's going to be a client sided add-on, it may as well get it's own GUI.
the issue with that is you can't just build anywhere. you can only build on places pre-evented, or face giving everyone a wrench and full trust to place these events.

would it be possible to create an item that toggles through all existing prop bricks on the server, using right click to switch? and then left click to place? also, will the prop bricks need priming like Xalos' Elevators, where you had to use an event like "onActivate - Self - createElevator"?

will the prop bricks need priming like Xalos' Elevators, where you had to use an event like "onActivate - Self - createElevator"?

No, but that gave me an idea. If we want to we can make it so that you can place the prop but then you have to "Build it". Which means clicking it again. Or we can make it so it takes a certain amount of LMB clicks before it is fully built. OR if we really wanted too we can make a repair tool that builds and repairs these props. IDK just an idea, toss it around like my mom's salad.