Poll

your 4

37 (19.8%)
150 (80.2%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: How do you 4  (Read 7298 times)

why do you say?
maybe tailed F's?
it's pretty pointless and archaic to cross out 7s and Zs
it just adds more time when writing.

it's pretty pointless and archaic to cross out 7s and Zs
it just adds more time when writing.
nah i've seen lots of people cross Zs and 7s and it's really common in Europe
it does take a tiny bit more time but it adds clarity especially with math (1 vs 7, Z vs 2)
i don't cross or dot zeroes but some people do

there's also how you write 1s (line, line w/ roof, line w/ roof and serif), 8s (two circles, figure-eight starting from top w/ bar, starting from middle, etc), and 3s (Ʒ vs 3)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:24:44 PM by TristanLuigi »

nah i've seen lots of people cross Zs and 7s and it's really common in Europe
can you source this?

or can we get anyone european to confirm? just curious.

can you source this?

or can we get anyone european to confirm? just curious.
They call argies european so I can confirm. I cross out Z's and 7's.

if you mean crossed out 7 like this:

then yeah, some of my teachers do that over here but not me

They call argies european so I can confirm. I cross out Z's and 7's.
i meant anyone who lives in continental europe.

not people who are of european descent or live in what was previously a european colony.
so this would exclude argentina and french guiana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_with_stroke#Uses_as_variant_of_the_letter_Z
Polish, German, Italian, Spanish, also by many people who use a lot of math since it clears up twos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_(number)#Evolution_of_the_glyph
Most people in Europe cross the 7, as do many in the UK and Latin America, and it's literally official in many countries

http://ruk.ca/content/crossed-z-and-7
A couple people here testify that it's a Euro thing

so yeah, it's common
I developed a lot of my handwriting quirks because of math, like the crossed 7 (confused with 1), crossed Z and looped 2 (confused with each other), curved T (confused with +), curved F (function notation), and curved X (because it's a really common variable and it's often curved in math) although others just happened because they look nice (straight 3, looped G and Y)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:41:07 PM by TristanLuigi »

Polish, German, Italian, Spanish, also by many people who use a lot of math since it clears up twos

Most people in Europe cross the 7, as do many in the UK and Latin America, and it's literally official in many countries

A couple people here testify that it's a Euro thing
the more i know, thanks

I developed a lot of my handwriting quirks because of math, like the crossed 7 (confused with 1), crossed Z and looped 2 (confused with each other), curved T (confused with +), curved F (function notation), and curved X (because it's a really common variable and it's often curved in math) although others just happened because they look nice (straight 3, looped G and Y)
The only way I can relate is when in either physics or calculus were we have to use angles accompanied with zeros. I was taught Ø for angles (though i've seen some use θ instead) to distinguish it from zeros. There is rarely an o glyph ever introduced into the same equation/formula, so it is not a problem.

the more i know, thanks
The only way I can relate is when in either physics or calculus were we have to use angles accompanied with zeros. I was taught Ø for angles (though i've seen some use θ instead) to distinguish it from zeros. There is rarely an o glyph ever introduced into the same equation/formula, so it is not a problem.
What do you mean for "angles?" As in the variable? That's the Greek letter theta, which is θ, as you said.
Also, have you never had issue with + and t? It drove me crazy until I figured out you can curve them :P

What do you mean for "angles?" As in the variable?
yes, of course.

Also, have you never had issue with + and t? It drove me crazy until I figured out you can curve them :P
Not at all. The horizontal stroke should always be placed around 3/4th the height of the vertical stroke. I don't understand how one could mistake the two, unless your t's are very short in proportion to your plus glyphs.

4's open nowadays but a couple months ago i did it closed so i accept either
next poll later thanks for reminding me

(DONT DISCUSS IT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

hey guys let's talk about 4

i start all my letters off the exact opposite than that of which i was taught. i was a little stuff