avast is being handicapped

Author Topic: avast is being handicapped  (Read 1205 times)

should i be worried at all or is avast just being loving stupid
that "steam.exe.old" file just popped up. it wasn't there before.

Run a full system scan.  Put the steam.exe file through VirusTotal.
If scans come up clean, report the file as a false positive.

Run a full system scan.  Put the steam.exe file through VirusTotal.
Virustotal gives a whopping 0 out of 55 detection rate. I think avast might just be loving stupid.

Can't viruses hide themselves in steam? Or is that the folders? I can't remember.

I just got this as well

I just went to a previous version of my Steam folder, took the .exe from there and copied it over to the current Steam folder

did you update steam today or very recently?

did you update steam today or very recently?
There was indeed an update, but then Steam got stuck while trying to boot itself back up, then i tried forcing it to shut down with the task manager, and that's when Avast happened and deleted the exe and my desktop shortcut

This happened to me too, false positive.

Avast has been a BS company since 2014 when they started to follow in AVG's Footsteps and remove Free features and make them paid only features, their flagging system is also flawed, back then it used to tell me the Blockland Launcher was a virus and it blocked it from connecting and later put it in the virus chest.

Your better of using Bitdefender Free or a paid version of Bitdefender, I wouldn't trust AVG, Avast, Avira, or even worse Norton for their corporate BS actions of gutting their free versions.

What is worse is they now Nag the stuff out of you to buy a premium version and some are doing "limited scans a day" where it will only scan your computer 3 times a day unless you buy premium.

But like I said Norton is the worst in this because something they do is somehow manage to use 100% disk usage and that can speed up an SSD's Read and writes and cause a 24/7 noisy HDD.

I stick with Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and a open source multi-removal tool called Roquekiller, I don't use Super anti Spyware anymore because they decided to go the BS way in the start of 2015.

whenever you download something on steam it gives you a virus!!

steam is working fine for me, and i have AVG
idk, just wanted to put this out here
but like this guy said:
(sorry if this sounds dismissive)

Steam.exe.old is just a backup of the Steam executable made after an update. It's safe delete or keep.

stop using avast and get mbam

I checked cinderings twitter yesterday
I saw a tweet saying "the hell are you on, avast?" With a screenshot of avast detecting steam as a virus
So I say avast is gay