1:1 Star Destroyer

Author Topic: 1:1 Star Destroyer  (Read 4060 times)

Over a year ago, I built a modter Star Destroyer. At the time I was using a 4 block to 1 meter scale, and it was 8/25. For this build, I used Planr's 3.25 stud to 1 meter scale, making that one .39 scale. When Zeblote's duplicator added mirroring, I realized that it would make the construction of another Star Destroyer much easier, so I set out to go big. Enough backstory, get to the pictures.
Possible pagestretch but I have a 4:3 monitor.

Cue the Imperial March.

The hangar is still in progress at the time of this post.

So, how big is it? 1600 meters, but scale is hard to comprehend without a reference. Let's go to the (also in progress) bridge.

I might add interior stuff if I can focus more on it. The exterior was the easy part, and took 3 days.
Rate 10/10 or Alderaan gets it.

Edit: Removed duplicate image.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:08:36 PM by Magus »

Looking awesome so far!
Could you scale down the images to avoid stretching?

I know modTer was probably the only reasonable choice but it looks really bland, and possibly could have used a smaller modTer set / been the same shape.

I've got an idea coming to me.... Make the rebellion's ship and create a dogfight between vehicles (I know there are a few space vehicles out there). Since modter mixed with regular bricks can look bad, just make the hangers the launch points w/ zones to prevent reentry from one team (?), and yeah. Star wars battle front TWO type of thing... But if you make smaller ships all around as obsticals, that would be sweet (its always fun to twist and turn around bricks)... and IDK if you can do CP points but yeah.

Lol, who knows. We need more TDMs, so...

I know modTer was probably the only reasonable choice but it looks really bland, and possibly could have used a smaller modTer set / been the same shape.
I suppose I could have used 32x or even 16x modter. However, consider the effect this would have on brickcount. As for looking bland, it is definitely my fault for not adding the smaller hull details and greebles (such as all the things on the vertical parts and the slightly thicker parts of the hull.

there are a few space vehicles out there
This right here is the problem with trying to make any sort of space-based TDM. The best Star Wars vehicles available don't even have proper collision, and they're too slow and not maneuverable enough. Other space vehicles have other problems, such as not having inverted controls somehow, or lacking weapons. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about modelling or Torquescript to make my own, but the lack of Star Wars vehicles is surprising given the relative popularity of Star Wars mods in other games.

As for the other part of your post, it would be cool to build an MC80 cruiser. However, there isn't a single straight line on the entire ship, so it'll be difficult. I'll definitely consider this, though, as well as building smaller ships such as Acclamator-class and Victory-class Star Destroyers, Tartan patrol cruisers, CR90 Corvettes, Nebulon-B Frigates, and MC40 Cruisers.

I suppose I could have used 32x or even 16x modter. However, consider the effect this would have on brickcount. As for looking bland, it is definitely my fault for not adding the smaller hull details and greebles (such as all the things on the vertical parts and the slightly thicker parts of the hull.
You don't seem to have brickcount listed anywhere in the topic, and I doubt the brickcount of the build would really matter anyway; I run a 99k brick modTer build and have yet to come across someone that actually complains about the brickcount lagging them.

This can't be a 1:1 scale.

My toy store is 1:1 scale to a real sized house and it's bigger than your star destroyer.

Unless you're pretending the blockland minifig is the size of a human and not a toy.

This can't be a 1:1 scale.

My toy store is 1:1 scale to a real sized house and it's bigger than your star destroyer.

Unless you're pretending the blockland minifig is the size of a human and not a toy.
He means 1:1 to a blockhead.

Pretty sure this is what the OP means, yeah

Well the lack of textures makes it a little bland. if you're using modter you may as well add some textures to make it look a little closer to the Star Destroyer.

why would anyone come to the conclusion that hes building it with the blockhead being the size of a minifig

why would anyone come to the conclusion that hes building it with the blockhead being the size of a minifig

Because lord tony is stuck in lego/retro land and things look different there

Nice work Magus. Have you posted the smaller scale one? The interior would be cool to post.

This things is loving huge in game. Takes three days to get from one end to the other.

Also great timing in posting this to coincide with Episode VII ha.