Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7 Reactions (WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS)  (Read 12971 times)

Unlike any other thread, this is a thread is specifically only for those who have seen the film, if you haven't yet and you want to avoid dem spoilers, get out now.

Do you ever want something so badly and then when you get it you have no idea how to react to it?

Well that's how I'm feeling about Star Wars right now. And it's not even because Han died or that Kylo Ren is his son.

No, what left me feeling really weirdly disappointed was just how much this film ungracefully borrowed from other Star Wars without even the satisfaction of a better explanation than "well, it's what's supposed to be there." Plus all the loving coincidences of plot convenience.

Like, why was the Falcon just so happened to be on Jakku for Finn and Rey to find? Why did Finn out of all the other stormtroopers decide right then and there he was done being a stormtrooper on his first outing as a stormtrooper? How did Finn mistake Han and Chewie's freighter as the New Order's ship other than so we could have a "dramatic" Han Solo reveal? Why did Kylo Ren stop a blaster bolt with the Force? How did Rey learn out of now where what a Jedi mindtrick was if literally a few scenes earlier she was questioning if the Jedi were even real? Why did R2D2 just so happen to wake up at the exact right moment to complete the map to Luke as soon as the Starkiller base was destroyed? How did Rey just close her eyes and decide to start "using the force" to beat Kylo in a saber duel when she has had no formal saber training at all and even if Kylo was an unskilled force user, he still had more training than her and should have still easily beaten her cause she's never touched a lightsaber in her life?

Why was Kylo Ren made to be a badass in one scene and then totally throw a hissy fit twice in the movie when things don't go his way and yet he's supposed to be our new Darth Vader?

Why did they literally just do a not as tight version of the plot to Episode 4?

Like, I loved the characters a lot and the dialog was pretty great (mostly) but like, I just don't know how to loving feel yet.

Was it better than the prequels? Yeah, sure, obviously. But was it as good a movie as it should have been with all the things it had going for it? I just can't tell.

I'm planning on seeing it again on Saturday. I'll let you know how I feel about it after digesting it without as much hype or cynicism to go with it.

To be honest, I loved it.

BUT

I am not a huge fan of star wars like many are, so my opinion may carry less weight.

EDIT: After reading through the main complaints you had, I think I have the answers to some.

Why did Finn out of all the other stormtroopers decide right then and there he was done being a stormtrooper on his first outing as a stormtrooper?

I would agree IF it wasn't his first outing. The point is that he realizes the actuality of what he is doing and doesn't want to continue, at least that is how I saw it.

How did Finn mistake Han and Chewie's freighter as the New Order's ship other than so we could have a "dramatic" Han Solo reveal?

I believe that was implied by the menacing red light that shined into the falcon.

Why did Kylo Ren stop a blaster bolt with the Force?

1. It was really loving cool

2. He was 'bout to get shot
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:46:42 PM by Nymph »

Throwing hissy fits seems to be a requirement for becoming Darth Vader. See: Anakin Skywalker

I mean. It was good. It weighed more on the good end of the spectrum than it did the bad.

Like I said it was not The Phantom Menace.

But I'm saying, I think it really could have been way better, and I'm not sure if I'm even convinced on any of it yet. I just... I need to see it again and maybe look at it from the perspective of a reviewer and not a hyped up fanboy.

kylo ren was cool as forget
han solo dying was easily foreseeable
death star 2.0 was cool as forget
the chrometrooper chick was not dedicated to the cause at all, "oh no a gun, i better do what they say"
bb-8 is the motherforgeter

great movie but yeah the plot could have been shaken up rather than being tight to episode 4

Oh yeah.

Captain Phasma. Talk about a loving wasted character.

She was in the movie a total of, what, three minutes? Holy stuff. She better be in episode 8 or I'm gonna be pissed.

Also I was reminded of this far too often which is never good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

I mean. It was good. It weighed more on the good end of the spectrum than it did the bad.

Like I said it was not The Phantom Menace.

But I'm saying, I think it really could have been way better, and I'm not sure if I'm even convinced on any of it yet. I just... I need to see it again and maybe look at it from the perspective of a reviewer and not a hyped up fanboy.
Check out my edit, I think I have some decent thoughts on a few of your complaints.

Stopping a blaster bolt was dumb and not cool lol.

Edit: I ain't saying I'm right, I'm just getting my thoughts out there before I get influenced by anything else.

Really? I thought it looked sick, but as stated, I am not a huge fan like some, so I might have different opinions.

To me it felt more like a kid writing the scene.

Like:

"and then kylo, this real badass, right? he totes comes out and, and poe is like, forget you forgeter, and shoots him right? and then he just loving stops the blaster with the force like a loving badass."

I'm just saying I don't think Darth Vader (good Darth Vader, not prequel Darth Vader) would do that. He blocked it with his hand in Empire, which to me seems way more cool than just stopping it like it was the matrix or something. It feels show-offy, which I guess is maybe the point (hence the hissy fits later?) I don't know I am SO CONFLICTED ON HOW TO FEEL, GUYS.

Edit: I ain't saying I'm right, I'm just getting my thoughts out there before I get influenced by anything else.
I haven't actually seen the movie (but I'm not very invested in the series so spoilers don't really matter to me all that much), but Kylo (who I'm gathering is moderately unskilled in the force) being able to stop a blaster bolt using the force raises a large question for me; why was a single, novice force user able to do that but not an entire group of trained Jedi in the prequel trilogy (see: the arena scene with about thirty Jedi surrounded by battle droids)?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this was probably because it was the prequels.

Anyways, how did that crossbar lightsaber work out?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:33:42 PM by WaterOre »

I haven't actually seen the movie (but I'm not very invested in the series so spoilers don't really matter to me all that much), but Kylo (who I'm gathering is moderately unskilled in the force) being able to stop a blaster bolt using the force raises a large question for me; why was a single, novice force user able to do that but not an entire group of trained Jedi in the prequel trilogy (see: the arena scene with about thirty Jedi surrounded by battle droids)?

Yes, there it is. That's the issue I'm having.

We see later that Kylo is totally a novice with the force and not even a very good sith (he's constantly nagging about still feeling the draw to the light side and loses a light saber duel to someone who's never used the force in her life until that day), but then he just loving does this stuff at the beginning?

It feels like a lazy way of just establishing his badassery quickly, then forgetting all about that when he needs to have "character traits" later.

Anyways, how did that crossbar lightsaber work out?

Edit: he used it to stick it into Finn's shoulder during one of those saber collisions where both users are at a stand still, pushing the blades towards each other. He gets a little leeway and stabs one of the little forgeters into his shoulder, it was actually kinda neat.

I'm just saying I don't think Darth Vader (good Darth Vader, not prequel Darth Vader) would do that.

But you have to realize that Kylo ISN'T Darth Vader, but his own villain. I think that particular scene was put there to show his power and establish more character than anything else.

We see later that Kylo is totally a novice with the force and not even a very good sith (he's constantly nagging about still feeling the draw to the light side and loses a light saber duel to someone who's never used the force in her life until that day), but then he just loving does this stuff at the beginning?

This is a legitimate issue I had, why was he established to be badass and that idea wasn't carried throughout the film.

While I get you are quick to brown townyse all the things wrong with the film, don't forget great scenes in the film such as when Han is killed and the great OVERALL character development.
EDIT: I am not bashing you here, I get hardcore fans and what it is like to be one.

Oh no yeah I'm not bashing you either, I'm just providing discourse to try and understand my feelings lol.

Also yeah, loving Han's death was GREAT. Like, best scene in the whole film hand's down. Even though I knew from the start it was coming, I was still in suspense. Good stuff right there.

I guess I just expected the whole movie to be that smart. Maybe that's my own flaw.