Author Topic: 2015/12/23 - Blockland r1984  (Read 142606 times)

Can we get a fix for this? Appearantly it's been around for a long time.
I remember badspot posting something along the lines of "Do flushVBOCache(); in the console to get rid of it."
It's obviously not a fix at the source, but until it gets fixed for real you can use that. I don't know how you'd reset it without flushing texture cache (which takes a long time) if you disable vertex objects.

I remember badspot posting something along the lines of "Do flushVBOCache(); in the console to get rid of it."

That's what I found too, but it's not a solution because it freezes the game for a while on large builds. It'd also be much better to not require clients to type stuff in the console.

Bricks are such an integral part of the game, they need to "just work".

That's what I found too, but it's not a solution because it freezes the game for a while on large builds.
Doing flushVBOCache takes extremely little time. Are you sure you're not talking about flushTextureCache?

Doing flushVBOCache takes extremely little time. Are you sure you're not talking about flushTextureCache?

On larger builds it takes enough time for you to notice it, and there's no way to call it server sided. I'd rather have the bug fixed.

what if one of the developers goes rouge and releases the source, the game is sort of forgeted
actually maybe not because of blockland's key system but it is still a bit forgeted
space engineers is straight up open source (although it hasn't been updated in four months)
https://github.com/KeenSoftwareHouse/SpaceEngineers
anyone can get the source and compile it. you just can't play it without a steam account that owns the game. and like you said, in the case of blockland, there are keys (and steam)
to my knowledge, this hasn't hurt sales

ok an open source future looks a lot more promising than i thought it did before

to my knowledge, this hasn't hurt sales

If anything it has increased sales for them.

Blockland as a community project would most likely make a lot more progress than now, with minimal extra work for badspot. He would only have to review changes before merging them and releasing updates.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:31:40 PM by Zeblote »

is there really anything bad about open source
if someone more enlightened on the subject could tell me that would be fantastic

is there really anything bad about open source
if someone more enlightened on the subject could tell me that would be fantastic
potential reverse engineered always-yes key system + game modification to use said system

only thing i can think of

EDIT: DMCA's would take care of that anyhow really

would be a hassle on badspots part though

he would have to actually look at blockland code (to review changes) and issue dmca takedowns, which his busy schedule cannot accomodate
/sarcasm

honestly though i feel like he could do it if he could be arsed to. currently it seems like he wants to wash his hands of this game and its community, the former probably because of the latter. despite this he still kinda follows along community trends and memes... so who knows?

hey its a lot better than making the code yourself
if i were a game developer i would totally review code instead of making it myself it would take like only an hour to review code meanwhile making it could take literally weeks

hey its a lot better than making the code yourself
if i were a game developer i would totally review code instead of making it myself it would take like only an hour to review code meanwhile making it could take literally weeks
its not an easy job you can just read and be done with - you'll have to run it to test it, add in debug lines to see how it runs with other code, etc. do you enjoy reading traces or something?

practically everyone i know loves to write code (assuming they know how to write code), and absolutely hate reading code. to me its pretty boring and harder than coming up with my own method and variable names and approach/whatever. its a lot easier to keep stuff you write in your head to juggle and debug with than it is to read and absorb someone else's solution and all its little details.

And some people don't use proper indentation or write lines which seem to be forgeted up, down, left, right, front, back, and inside out. Lets not forget those that cramp functions together on the same line.

And some people don't use proper indentation or write lines which seem to be forgeted up, down, left, right, front, back, and inside out. Lets not forget those that cramp functions together on the same line.
then they're not allowed to make changes to the game
if you want to make changes you probably should be forced to write your things a certain way and make sure to document everything well with comments otherwise it isn't worth the time reviewing

If your code sucks, it doesn't get merged until you fix it. That's really... not a problem at all.