Author Topic: Darkest Hour '44-'45 6.0 - 64 player battles w/ vehicles on sale for $2.50 - WW2  (Read 982 times)

Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45 is a total conversion modification for Tripwire's Red Orchestra: Ostfront '44-'45 that takes place during the Western European Theater of World War II. Depicting battles such as Hill 400, Caen, and the Omaha Beach landings, among others, Darkest Hour aims to provide a realistic and authentic 64 player multiplayer that is intuitive and natural to play while holding historical accuracy and realism to the highest regard. Hip-firing requires you to freely aim your weapon, recoil is high and punishes players who blindly spray, hits to the center of mass are often fatal in single hits, bullet drop requires you to compensate your aim, and suppressing fire interrupts your aim and can force entire squads to the ground. The maps are very large and can stretch out to 2km, leaving ample opportunity for the game's wide array of historical vehicles to manoeuvre and fight. Tank crews on opposing sides will use vehicles such as the M18 Hellcat, M4A1 (76) Sherman, Panzer III, and King Tiger to support infantry and destroy other tanks. Darkest Hour provides the scale and combined arms warfare of Arma 3 without being obtuse to play, while offering a much more realistic and authentic experience than games like Battlefield or Insurgency. The game this is a mod of, RO:Ostfront, is currently $2.50 on the Steam Store.

You can run this game on a toaster.
SCREENSHOTS
click to enlarge

GAMEPLAY + TIPS
  • Pick the rifleman class at first to accomdate yourself to the controls and general working order of things. Taking an important class like anti-tank or squad leader from the beginning will just harm yourself and your team
  • The German rifleman's main weapon, the Karabiner 98k, is an accurate weapon, but the M1 Garand for all intents and purposes is a better weapon. Avoid close range fights with allied riflemen as much as possible, as they can get off 4 shots for every 1 of yours.
  • Germany often has the defensive advantage- the MG42 and MG34 are superior to the M1918 Browning machine gun, and the Panther and Tiger tanks can defeat any allied tank in a 1v1. Use that to your advantage and hold the points.
  • Tankers- please don't use AP when fighting infantry. Remember that you often have HE (sometimes Flechette) rounds for your main tank gun, when fighting infantry, use those.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:42:57 PM by ZombiLoin »

tried this out a while back and i own rising storm/ ro2 and i didnt really like it because the controls and the lack of people. if it wasnt almost dead i would be playing it

tried this out a while back and i own rising storm/ ro2 and i didnt really like it because the controls and the lack of people. if it wasnt almost dead i would be playing it
There's always a full/near-full server up, lol.

more realistic than Insurgency? I'm sold.

Good thing I don't have two bucks. Time to start selling cards...

more realistic than Insurgency? I'm sold.
Yep. Insurgency doesn't actually have bullet physics, while in DH bullets experience drop and can ricochet.

Anyways, it's really fun in this game to be a tank commander. Nothing beats the feeling of obliterating a fortified position of enemy infantry with a King Tiger tank. Like, just the sound of the gun firing- a deep choom, and the recoil you can almost feel from it- it really makes the experience feel weighty and authentic.