Author Topic: So I'm gonna try and make a Real Time Strategy game.  (Read 2343 times)

So if you've been around the forums long enough, you've probably seen me post a few topics where I am developing a game. None of them really panned out, even if I got some decent tests going. The problem with all my previous attempts is I tried to jump right into a multiplayer 3d world and it's just a huge project for an amateur developer. Not to mention I had no real plans beforehand.

With that said, I've shifted to trying to create an RTS. I suppose my inspiration is a lot of the classic RTS games I played as a kid: Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer and so on. I've only been working on this for a few days, and my voice in the video sucks, but here's a video:

Video showing basic terrain generation and map structure.
Pathfinding and unit animation demonstration.
Sound, selection, and fog of war. (Newest video.)
(Feel free to skip around to the end if you don't want to sit through the whole video.)

It has all the basics, terrain generation, buildings, units, decorations and animation. Now I've just got to start actually making the game itself. Once I have the programming to an acceptable level I'll probably commission some drawings with the money I make from my job.

[So I haven't updated this OP since I posted it, later today I'll rewrite it.]

Screenshots that are out of order:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:59:49 PM by DrenDran »

good luck op
looks nice so far
(for what it is anyway)

what language are you doing this in?

looks great so far

what language are you doing this in?

looks great so far
C++ is the language, SDL 2 is the graphics library.

(for what it is anyway)
Real time strategy. Ever played Age of Empires?

I meant as in a prototype silly

C++ is the language, SDL 2 is the graphics library.

very wise choice

I read that wrong a couple of times too, but what he means is that it's good, as far as prototypes go

it's interesting to watch

i hope it goes well

I read that wrong a couple of times too, but what he means is that it's good, as far as prototypes go
Yeah, I misread what he wrote as "for what is it anyway" like a question.

Also, thanks for all the support guys.

I fixed all the animation errors and am now working on implementing A* pathfinding. It's conceptually easy but still frustrating. Once that's done I gotta add in support for multiple units, make a basic gui, and add some more resources. Hopefully that won't take me more than a few days, at which point I'll have a primitive game for people to test.

have always been a fan of your previous works, even if they never were completed fully

best of luck, and I'd love to do some testing if needed

Looks a lot like American Conquest with these placeholder sprites. Hope you keep working on it, RTS is fun as forget.

OH stuff.
HOLY stuff
YOUR VOICE SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME WHEN I WAS A YEAR YOUNGER
SPOOPY

So I finally got pathfinding working, sort of:

I've still got a bit of work to do to make the movement actually look right though.

Current plan:
  • Modify walking so characters don't need to only go in perfect straight lines to next node.
  • Make it so there can be multiple units and unit types.
  • Add the ability to select between units.
  • Add some basic GUI elements
  • Set up the sound library I'm going to use and add in some basic gui sounds.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:21:47 AM by DrenDran »