Author Topic: Is there a mod for the ridiculous light limitations?  (Read 9794 times)

I am so sick of this limit, it drives me and everyone I know insane:  The more lights on at once, the closer you need to be for them to turn ON.
I want to be able to see my entire town and other things lit up at night but I can't because of this goddamn limit.

Does anyone have anything or is willing to do anything about this?

I think the limit should definitely be raised, but if it turns out to be a problem for some people (like epileptics, perhaps?), there could be a slider for it in the advanced options labelled something like 'Max light distance'

my understanding is that its an engine limitation

however it seems that with certain workarounds one can still take pictures with many more lights than usual. i remember port or someone along those lines posted a gallery topic where he had photos with 11 lights or more.

You can hard code more light positions in the shader file, but torkscript can't write to the shaders folder for no reason at all.

So you could make a client script that will write a new .glsl file, then you manually move it in the shaders folder. Suddenly 150 lights! (Running at like, 3 fps)

You can hard code more light positions in the shader file, but torkscript can't write to the shaders folder for no reason at all.

So you could make a client script that will write a new .glsl file, then you manually move it in the shaders folder. Suddenly 150 lights! (Running at like, 3 fps)
id take that just for taking good pictures. Do you know anyone willing to make it?

I can make it when I get home, it'll take like 10 minutes.

zeblote for blockland dev 2016

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1t13fi73jx5636/Client_ManyPointLights.zip?dl=1

How to use it

1) Install the add-on
2) Set up all the lights you want (no animated or moving lights are possible)
3) Type writeManyPointLights();
4) Copy config/manyPointLights_*.glsl to shaders/ directory
5) Type applyManyPointLights();
6) Take a screenshot - you'll probably have 3 fps so it isn't usable normally
7) Change the shader quality in options to go back to default shaders
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:43:58 PM by Zeblote »

i thought the point light limit was just an opengl constraint but i guess that's changed since the shader update

i thought the point light limit was just an opengl constraint but i guess that's changed since the shader update

It's more of an efficiency limit

Appearantly tork 3d has deferred lighting so why isn't blockland using it yet

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143512782/Games/Blockland/Client_ManyPointLights.zip

How to use it

1) Install the add-on
2) Set up all the lights you want (no animated or moving lights are possible)
3) Type writeManyPointLights();
4) Copy config/manyPointLights_*.glsl to shaders/ directory
5) Type applyManyPointLights();
6) Take a screenshot - you'll probably have 3 fps so it isn't usable normally
7) Change the shader quality in options to go back to default shaders
this is utterly beautiful thank you

It's more of an efficiency limit

Appearantly tork 3d has deferred lighting so why isn't blockland using it yet
what is deferred lighting?

Lets you render thousands of lights with almost no performace impact, unreal engine uses it for example

Lets you render thousands of lights with almost no performace impact, unreal engine uses it for example
So what you are saying is that your addon has almost no performance issues like you predicted it would have?