Author Topic: BLF Stats, and what they mean for our community  (Read 1363 times)

DISCLAIMER: Disregard the stat for January 2016.  Obviously the month isn't over yet and therefore it is incomplete.  Also for some reason excel didn't copy all the months (February, April, June, August, October, December).  If I had caught this before I had uploaded all the pictures then I wouldv'e corrected it.  Lesson learned, I guess.  Regardless, you can still identify trends.  Also, this is NOT a topic saying that "bloklan is dieing o nooo", so please don't take it as one.

All of the graphs on this page are representations of the stats that can be found in the chronological list at the bottom of this page.  I made this for the purpose of brown townysis and because I wanted to see if there were any trends and what they mean for us, the Blockland community.

As you can see we have had less and less in way of topic creation over the years.  After a peak in mid 2010, it seems that we went progressively down from there.  Strangely enough, the steam release didn't seem to reverse that trend, or even cause it to plateau off.  Could it mean that the community is dying?  Lets do some more brown townysis first.

The New Posts stat is pretty much the same as New Topics, no further explanation needed.

This one is kind of hard to tell because it seems to be pretty flat apart from January 2013 through March 2014.  Despite this, if you look closely, there is a small downward trend.  This clearly indicates a slowing growth rate.

The Most Online stat seems to be pretty flat, maybe a slight downward trend if you don't count the spikes in the middle.  A little disconcerting but not really enough to make a fuss about.

And now, despite the previous downward trends, Blockland seems to be getting more traffic than ever.  Could this mean that despite all the extra exposure we are getting, we are struggling to grow as a community?  At first glance, it certainly seems that way.  There have been topics in the past addressing the harshness of our community towards new players, or people only slightly different form us.  I don't think its quite like that, though.  I think that as a whole, our users are very respectful and are great to converse with.  I think its just a few bad apples that stir up problems and make the rest of us look bad.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:52:24 PM by ABlockOfCheese »

I thought this was a "BLOCKLAND IS DUYING" thread for a second there
honestly this forum is more about the blocklanders than it is blockland itself anymore

I feel like badspot will ban you for this topic because it could MAYBE fall into blockland is dying threads.

I feel like badspot will ban you for this topic because it could MAYBE fall into blockland is dying threads.
That certainly isn't the intended purpose.  I'm not trying to say that Blockland is dying, because clearly we are getting more traffic.

I know this isn't intended nor wanted to be a blockland is dying thread but to someone who disagrees and especially someone like badspot would probably take it that way.

I know this isn't intended nor wanted to be a blockland is dying thread but to someone who disagrees and especially someone like badspot would probably take it that way.
That's why I updated the disclaimer.  Blockland certainly doesn't feel like it is dying, i see new users almost every day.  I just think it is interesting to see how our community has done over the years.  And even if our forum community was dying, the game community is still plenty alive so in general, no, we are not dying.

Since not all players use the forums, I'd like to see the statistics for the player count online and offline (since people could be playing in single player too, however this would be more of a guess than anything).

Since not all players use the forums, I'd like to see the statistics for the player count online and offline (since people could be playing in single player too, however this would be more of a guess than anything).
Well, as interesting as that would be, there's no real way to get that data to begin with. :/

Thanks for this. I don't really know what to make of it, but I'm glad you crunched the numbers.

I'm #10 on the top 10 posters list, does that mean anything?

Well, as interesting as that would be, there's no real way to get that data to begin with. :/
the master server has pretty good data on that, just not historical data
if you get the info from it about how many players are playing online every hour or so you can begin to make a meaningful chart, you just won't know about the stats from the past

the master server has pretty good data on that, just not historical data
if you get the info from it about how many players are playing online every hour or so you can begin to make a meaningful chart, you just won't know about the stats from the past
the historical data is mostly what I'm focusing on here.  I think it would be neat if there was a chart that did that, but I have no idea where to start to create such a thing.

Thanks for this. I don't really know what to make of it, but I'm glad you crunched the numbers.
Thanks, glad I could provide a service.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:03:07 AM by ABlockOfCheese »