[FORUM] — Old or Locked Topic Quoting

Author Topic: [FORUM] — Old or Locked Topic Quoting  (Read 1521 times)

Plain and simply if the topic is locked or old and you press the quote button, it copies the quote to your clipboard and displays a notice that it does so.

I never realized how much I want this.

Just click on the reply subject at the top to find the link and manually make the quote.
I never realized how much I want this.

Just click on the reply subject at the top to find the link and manually make the quote.
that is a bit tedious though

old threads can already be quoted just fine as long as you have quick reply enabled
locked topics on the other hand are more complicated. I guess I could try to make a userscript to do that. it would be a neat exercise

For old topics, you can use Quick Reply to get the quote easily

old topic from 2008

Although you can't get a quote from locked topics. It would be nice to get quotes

Although you can't get a quote from locked topics. It would be nice to get quotes
here's a place you can get some free quotes
free.autoinsurancequotes.com/‎

forgive me the pun was too tempting. drydess' solution is the most reliable one.

userscript is done

http://pastebin.com/e26EmT0q

it works just great in chrome
BUT. for some godforsaken reason that I can't figure out, it doesn't work in firefox. no errors are printed to the console, it just doesn't do anything
so I hope you use chrome

it adds quote buttons, just like you'd see in any other thread. when you click one, it jumps you down to the bottom of the page, and uses that little green bar to indicate that it's loading just like the forum uses normally. when it's done, it adds the quote to a very plain text box. unfortunately, because of some goofy security limitations in javascript, I can't make it automatically copy it to your clipboard when it's finished, but I did add a separate button above the text box for that, to at least make it a little easier than selecting and copying it manually

let me know if there are any problems
if you do use firefox, let me know, and I suppose I'll try a little harder to get it to work there, but no promises
note: this applies to anyone who uses firefox and wants to use it
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:41:56 AM by Foxscotch »

Thanks again!  I'll check it out on my computer when I get home.  Works great!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:00:07 AM by SWAT One »