Author Topic: Re: DSO decompiler (split from "Retail News")  (Read 16847 times)

If you buy torque, you can look at the way .dso's are made and make a decompiler. But youd be killed by the GG Guys before anything came of it. One guy made a .dts importer, and was practically blackballed.

With Torque game engine, can't you decode dso files?  Its only $100!  Yay...
  And I find edit mode kinda pointless on TBM.
I can't believe some of you would pay $100 to take code from TBM when playing the mod is free (and not a "threat"). You people never cease to amaze me. I guess some of you are just rich and have money to waste. And about edit mode, try building a high-level build like Ragnarok's airship without edit tools. You won't come close.

Unless I build it on the ground and move it up using f11.

PhatStreet, i saw no post indicating decompiling TBM's Dso files.  So for you to state that decompiling TBM's Dso files is our concern/want, is ludacris. I'm sorry its not even occured to me. I know that i have no clue whats in TBM, i've never installed TBM, nor used it. All i've seen is screenshots, hell i don't even know what their features list is like.

I've been torque scripting/coding for nearly 2 years straight, i don't need to look at TBM's code, i can write my own thank you very much.

EDIT: SP

P.S. If the end-user wants to decompile their .dso files, i have no issues with it, the end user has the right to see whats being put on their PC. Otherwise, its right there with spyware. Infact some of their scripts (that i've seen here) IS SPYWARE. It spys to see if the maps is used with another mod. Thats spyware.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:17:18 AM by Digi »

P.S. If the end-user wants to decompile their .dso files, i have no issues with it, the end user has the right to see whats being put on their PC. Otherwise, its right there with spyware. Infact some of their scripts (that i've seen here) IS SPYWARE. It spys to see if the maps is used with another mod. Thats spyware.
Digi, don't be an idiot.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spyware

Definition:     any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes.

I wasn't aware that that script transmitted information back to TBM team members.

PhatStreet, i saw no post indicating decompiling TBM's Dso files.
If you aren't interested, then that post was directed towards the others. TBM is the only DSO'd mod, unless you guys are "breaking rules".
And Luquado is right, that's not an example of spyware. >_>

Ok, my bad not spyware, how malware? Malware work, i think it works under the logic that the maps don't work under a different folder, even though they use free content. (Yes i'm sure atleast one of your maps uses free content which makes my statement correct).

Okay, I hate to keep arguing semantics, but
Definition:     software, such as viruses, intended to damage or disable a computer system; short for malicious software; also written mal-ware
You know damned well that nothing in TGE can affect anything outside of the torque folder, so it's not even malware.

No, friend, that script is called "copy protection." Simple, easy to break, but that's all it is. It's not an exploit, it's not spyware, it's not a virus, it's not malware, it's not any of that sensationalist bull that you guys keep throwing around. I didn't even know it was in there and I have MCP's beta2, RTB, and AiO-R all installed in the same BL folder.

@Luq, still, don't you think if a user wants to use a map in say AIO, that he should be able too? Without fear of some hidden TBM Script killing his pc? Also, *TECHNICALLY* there is a way to effect other mods, and such. But why give TBM More ideas for that stuff? At RTB, i have no problem with people using our stuff in AIO, and BLM.

P.S. No matter what you wanna call it it is still restrictive, and is not needed. You want to protect your stuff? Then stop using .mis, and make your maps .dso. Yes its possible, and if you guys at TBM can't figuare it out, tough.

Edit: SP
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:04:20 PM by Digi »

I have no trouble using maps from any mod in any other mod. Just edit out the quit(); function. I talked to gobbles, and he had no problem with someone using hs maps as long as you aren't sticking them in your own mod, even with giving propper credit.

Can't really regulate that sort of thing, unless you only included the .ter and .ml files. But then, you can just re-create the map from the ml file, so you can't really "protect" a map.

So its just the question of making sure all your friends have the map too, so they don't spend 45 minutes downloadint the .ter (I've actually done this).

Ehh, well, that question was directed at Luquado.

EDIT: Since the per files were replaced with save files in TBM, I suppose you could create your own "protected" map file. Maybe turning Read-Only on under the file properties... Of course, this is all theoretical, and in order to create your own map system, you would have to have the source code.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:07:41 PM by Wedge »

@Luq, still, don't you think if a user wants to use a map in say AIO, that he should be able too?
It's not enough to just copy and paste the map file, they have to edit out toyboxes and the like or else they won't be able to run the map. And if they're clever enough to do that, they're clever enough to edit out the quit(); function. Taking that script out of the equation, you still can't just plop any TBM map into AiO or RTB and run it.

P.S. No matter what you wanna call it it is still restrictive, and is not needed. You want to protect your stuff? Then stop using .mis, and make your maps .dso. Yes its possible, and if you guys at TBM can't figuare it out, tough.
I think we can figure it out just fine. Nice try at a dig, though.

I talked to gobbles, and he had no problem with someone using hs maps as long as you aren't sticking them in your own mod, even with giving propper credit.
And that's really what it comes down to. One of the strengths of TBM is our maps. People taking those maps without even asking and packing them into their mods really, really gets my dander up. There are some maps that were really popular that we've released for the general public - Office, if you recall, which AiO then renamed "Quiet Zone" and didn't credit me, but also if you recall I didn't kick up a stink becuase I released a version for everyone. Computer I never did because it was more of a gimmick map, and Grill  I haven't yet because I'm waiting until I get more new maps out. Gobbles has released a ton of his maps for any mod to use. What more do you want from us? Code-wise, AiO used Rob's color palette script with Rob's blessing, and I'm sure there are other examples.

In either case, this "debate" is stupid. TBM's banned from being posted on these forums in its current state, RTB usually has more servers, and that's that. What the hell else do you want to accomplish? We're not open-sourcing our mod, if that's what you want. It's a pointless, stupid debate. You think we're wrong, we think you're wrong. Get over it, no one's going to convince the other that their point of view is wrong. I'm surprised Badspot lets this discussion even go on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:51:32 PM by Luquado »

Badspot

• Administrator
I don't plan on reading this thread, but I thought I'd pop in and stir the stuff...

It's possible to write a script that will create a .mis file of the current map you are playing in.  Even if you didn't have a .mis or .dso, all you would have to do is connect to a server running the map and run the script. 

i don't think we're that paranoid :P

Quoted for record.

@Luq, still, don't you think if a user wants to use a map in say AIO, that he should be able too?
It's not enough to just copy and paste the map file, they have to edit out toyboxes and the like or else they won't be able to run the map. And if they're clever enough to do that, they're clever enough to edit out the quit(); function. Taking that script out of the equation, you still can't just plop any TBM map into AiO or RTB and run it.

I think we can figure it out just fine. Nice try at a dig, though.

I talked to gobbles, and he had no problem with someone using hs maps as long as you aren't sticking them in your own mod, even with giving propper credit.
And that's really what it comes down to. One of the strengths of TBM is our maps. People taking those maps without even asking and packing them into their mods really, really gets my dander up. There are some maps that were really popular that we've released for the general public - Office, if you recall, which AiO then renamed "Quiet Zone" and didn't credit me, but also if you recall I didn't kick up a stink becuase I released a version for everyone. Computer I never did because it was more of a gimmick map, and Grill  I haven't yet because I'm waiting until I get more new maps out. Gobbles has released a ton of his maps for any mod to use. What more do you want from us? Code-wise, AiO used Rob's color palette script with Rob's blessing, and I'm sure there are other examples.

In either case, this "debate" is stupid. TBM's banned from being posted on these forums in its current state, RTB usually has more servers, and that's that. What the hell else do you want to accomplish? We're not open-sourcing our mod, if that's what you want. It's a pointless, stupid debate. You think we're wrong, we think you're wrong. Get over it, no one's going to convince the other that their point of view is wrong. I'm surprised Badspot lets this discussion even go on.