Author Topic: Server does not ping out of the blue.  (Read 1448 times)

tell your dad no, nobody else out there needs to set their port to whatever (aka port forwarding) so its fine.

i think your dad doesn't realize you're hosting the server locally, on your computer. he thinks its on a server-rental site or something, and that people need to port forward to join the server.

you are port forwarding so the players can connect to your server, hosted on your computer, through your router.

tell your dad no, nobody else out there needs to set their port to whatever (aka port forwarding) so its fine.

i think your dad doesn't realize you're hosting the server locally, on your computer. he thinks its on a server-rental site or something, and that people need to port forward to join the server.

you are port forwarding so the players can connect to your server, hosted on your computer, through your router.
No, me and him pay for many servers in a data center. The problem with the router, is that it's not like a home setup. We can't access the router webpage. He knows exactly how the server is being hosted, he just doesn't understand the problem at hand. We will probably just end up troubleshooting the hell out of it when this problem happens again.

If your bl server is hosted in a data center maybe you should have said that in the first post...

If your bl server is hosted in a data center maybe you should have said that in the first post...
Oh.. stuff. Oops

yes port forwarding on a datacenter is vastly different than port forwarding at home, since you dont own the server/control the server personally. those taking care of the datacenter will probably set higher security standards than you would at home

my guess is that you'll have to contact the datacenter to get them to open the port for you, if you cant do it the way foxscotch explained.

yes port forwarding on a datacenter is vastly different than port forwarding at home, since you dont own the server/control the server personally. those taking care of the datacenter will probably set higher security standards than you would at home

my guess is that you'll have to contact the datacenter to get them to open the port for you, if you cant do it the way foxscotch explained.
I mean. I pay for the internet and the server. The data center is simply for storing the server in a stable environment. It is my server, I own it. I don't rent it.

I mean. I pay for the internet and the server. The data center is simply for storing the server in a stable environment. It is my server, I own it. I don't rent it.
well aren't you lucky. servers arent cheap and finding a place to keep them isn't cheap either.

probably should look up port forwarding tutorials specifically for server then.

well aren't you lucky. servers arent cheap and finding a place to keep them isn't cheap either.

probably should look up port forwarding tutorials specifically for server then.
Knowing how to port forward isn't particularly the problem anymore. Its why I need to port forward, or why my ports are messing up. Like, yeah, great. I can port forward, but I would rather be able to prevent / know the source of the problem instead of just fixing it.

Like, yeah, great. I can port forward, but I would rather be able to prevent / know the source of the problem instead of just fixing it.
even though most of what I said doesn't apply anymore, the part explaining the purpose of port forwarding is still accurate
the problem is that the datacenter's network doesn't know what machine to send the requests to (in this case it's the blockland server traffic)
so, literally, the problem is that it's not port-forwarded

unless, that is, it doesn't need to be port-forwarded. I'm not 100% certain how datacenters are usually set up, but I know that my VPS has its own IP. so it may not need port forwarding at all
and in that case, we would have a different issue. so you'll probably need to ask your dad about that