Author Topic: Entering basic Coding Class, Goal is to make a small Mod you guys want.  (Read 857 times)

title

I'm going to enter a basic programming class, and even though its very basic, I would like to know that, when I get farther in the class, that I could make a mod for this game! So, what mod, which should be easy to code(duh), do you want to be made?

It IS a coding class, so no, I'm not going to make a Gimp mod for you Clownfish.

I am not in the class right now BTW, it's next year. So you have alot of time.

-Reserved-

You'll also have to learn Torquescript first.

If it's labelled as a 'Basic coding class', don't be surprised if all they end up teaching you is something dumb like HTML (which isn't a programming language, and won't help you understand torquescript in the slightest).

Maybe tell us what language they planned to teach you, if that was revealed in the slightest?

I think you're overplaying the difficulty of making an add-on. If you just look at scripts and tinker with them to find out how stuff works, you'll be able to make stuff on your own within like a month or two.

title

I'm going to enter a basic programming class, and even though its very basic, I would like to know that, when I get farther in the class, that I could make a mod for this game! So, what mod, which should be easy to code(duh), do you want to be made?

It IS a coding class, so no, I'm not going to make a Gimp mod for you Clownfish.
I have coding classes at my school, but they teach everything but Torquesript. They may do the same to you.

The closest high level "basic" language to torquescript would probably be Javascript by syntax. Maybe Lua, though the syntax is different in many ways. As long as you learn the basics of functions in scripting languages, you'll be well off on torquescript. Like french and spanish

I have coding classes at my school, but they teach everything but Torquesript. They may do the same to you.
I'd be stupefied if a school did teach Torquescript

I think you're overplaying the difficulty of making an add-on. If you just look at scripts and tinker with them to find out how stuff works, you'll be able to make stuff on your own within like a month or two.
I agree, I have made a few weapons and add-ons by messing around with some code and ended up making a shotgun/assault rifle/pistol.

people totally new to coding can't even read code - the biggest initial hurdle is developing the coding mindset, not knowing the syntax.

i'm pretty sure OP here has little to no experience with pure logic puzzles which help overcome the initial hurdle. I had the same issue at first when I first tried to learn how to code for BL; only time and experience helped me develop the correct way of thinking when developing an addon.