Poll

What is your favorite feature included in version 3?

Infinite terrain
239 (11%)
Finite terrain
139 (6.4%)
Support for various brick sizes, terrain types, and ModTer sizes and types
171 (7.9%)
Color, Print, and Brick setup
144 (6.6%)
Landscape Additions (Mountains, Caves, Clouds, Floating Islands & Boundaries)
176 (8.1%)
Biomes, Details and Mass Detail Setup
164 (7.5%)
Chunk saving and loading options
130 (6%)
GUIs and Presets
156 (7.2%)
Advanced Options (such as manipulating noise scales)
140 (6.4%)
Routines Options (delays, toggling brick destruction, setting up permissions and ownership, etc.)
125 (5.8%)
Custom Bricks and Dynamic Cascading Streams
140 (6.4%)
Floating Brick Support
151 (6.9%)
Multiple User Support
137 (6.3%)
Build Loading and Flat Areas
161 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 325

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator (Features Tutorial Added!)  (Read 88905 times)

You need to update the stream bricks so that they can't generate streams ontop of each other (if the stream is from the same source), and as well, update them so that destroying the source brick stops further generation of streams.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:13:02 PM by Kamutog »

I've got a suggestion. How hard would it be to implement height maps? With a save/load as well to easily save the map of your terrain or make one in Paint and load it up.
I'd be willing to add the ability to use height maps, but the default method torque uses to read pixels is way too slow / inefficient to use, and is quite difficult to set up. The best way to import height maps would be to add an external program or script to read them, but I would need someone to help in writing it.

You need to update the stream bricks so that they can't generate streams ontop of each other, and as well, update them so that destroying the source brick stops further generation of streams.
I can update them in a future update, possibly for 3.1. It would be slightly complex to stop them relative to the source brick they came from, but for now you can stop them from generating by disabling the streams feature under Routines and then clicking the Apply Changes button - they'll immediately stop cascading.

Here's a preview of a new, experimental terrain type you can try out in the next 3.1 update!
It's a mix of both normal, cube-scapped terrain and modular terrain ramps used to create a unique, hybrid style:

I used the simple gui and got this, I have version 3.0.2

I'm using this colorset: Colorset_Emils_Realistic_V

Here's a preview of a new, experimental terrain type you can try out in the next 3.1 update! It's a mix of both normal, cube-scapped terrain and modular terrain ramps used to create a unique, hybrid style:

Oh wow this looks a lot nicer imo especially with that print, it looks like the ramps were more made specifically for it and it gives a more legoy vibe

This is awesome
I used the simple gui and got this, I have version 3.0.2

I'm using this colorset: Colorset_Emils_Realistic_V
Thanks =) Also try clearing all chunk saves by using the /PTGClearAllSaves slash command and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, let me know which print pack your using and the Simplex GUI seed value and so I can try to recreate the issue.

Oh wow this looks a lot nicer imo especially with that print, it looks like the ramps were more made specifically for it and it gives a more legoy vibe
Yeah, this is my favorite style by far - the ramps make it easier to walk and drive over hills, and it stills feels like lego terrain.

I'm not entirely sure why, but whenever I try running this on a custom gamemode with all my usual mods enabled, this ends up crashing my blockland. When I disable it, my server launches just fine, and if I run it on a freebuild (By sticking it into the gamemode.txt) it works just fine.

All the mods I have enabled are bricks + Some scripts (Hackplant + Some mods I made) + some custom dumb mods I made that shouldn't conflict as they don't modify building.

Here's my console log.

I'm not entirely sure why, but whenever I try running this on a custom gamemode with all my usual mods enabled, this ends up crashing my blockland. When I disable it, my server launches just fine, and if I run it on a freebuild (By sticking it into the gamemode.txt) it works just fine.

All the mods I have enabled are bricks + Some scripts (Hackplant + Some mods I made) + some custom dumb mods I made that shouldn't conflict as they don't modify building.

Here's my console log.
Try hosting a server with PTG disabled, and enter $Pref::Server::PTG::DontLoadDefault = true; into the console. Then disconnect and try hosting again with PTG enabled, and see if that helps. I'm not sure, but I think the automatic loading of default PTG settings might be causing the crash; that command above will prevent those settings from loading while the server is being created.

You can re-enable automatic loading of default settings by using $Pref::Server::PTG::DontLoadDefault = false; instead. Hopefully that fixes it

absolutley adore the new style

Try hosting a server with PTG disabled, and enter $Pref::Server::PTG::DontLoadDefault = true; into the console. Then disconnect and try hosting again with PTG enabled, and see if that helps. I'm not sure, but I think the automatic loading of default PTG settings might be causing the crash; that command above will prevent those settings from loading while the server is being created.

You can re-enable automatic loading of default settings by using $Pref::Server::PTG::DontLoadDefault = false; instead. Hopefully that fixes it
Didn't seem to work.

Here's a preview of a new, experimental terrain type you can try out in the next 3.1 update![/b] It's a mix of both normal, cube-scapped terrain and modular terrain ramps used to create a unique, hybrid style:

Best terrain type A+ 100% 10/10 GOTY

lol, how come I didn't see that

anyway, is there a way for the land to have support underneath?

Didn't seem to work.
I'll look into it and see if I can recreate the problem; other than automatic loading of the default settings, I'm not sure what else would cause it to crash.

bug? from viso's

The script for placing ModTer is great, but not perfect lol. It's designed to be as fast and efficient as possible, and has various rules built-in for choosing the brick type and orientation for ModTer, but when hills are close by as seen in that pic it tends to get slightly confused. There's no easy way to fix that however, just due to how the script works.

lol, how come I didn't see that

anyway, is there a way for the land to have support underneath?
The generator did have functionality at one time to fill the area underneath terrain with the various sized cubes bricks, but I eventually had to scrap that idea - it was just becoming way too complicated to develop. You could try using the larger ModTer cubes though to support the floating bricks.

Btw, including the mirror, PTG is close to 700 downloads!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:31:11 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Very nice! Terrain was always a pain to make by hand...
Also, is there a way to make the bricks not appear in such organized rows? Or is that just the style? Thanks.