Author Topic: Convert a Small Brick Build Into an Individual Brick Add-on -Proposal-  (Read 2431 times)

Would it be possible? What if I were to select a house and then be able to save the house as one brick and be able to go under my special bricks tab and select that newly created brick. It would potentionally allow you to cut down on the amount of editting for a client-name for rendering, collision and ray casting.

Is it possible?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:31:28 PM by Neventii »

I'm pretty sure it'd be possible.
On second thought, if it is then if a savedup function were ever made for the new duplicator, then if it were server-sided duplications they could be saved under a brick tab.

its not easy or straightforward, but it is possible to automate the process of creating a custom brick based on a save. there have been .bls to .obj converters and it probably would be trivial to tack on an .obj to .blb.

But if you want to apply wrench events on a group of bricks, the new duplicator by zeblote already does that. The old duplicator, which has savedup, does not conflict with the new dup, so you can have both enabled on the server at once, and use /olddup to /savedup whenever you need it.

You'll get problems with collision, there's a limit to how many collision shapes you can stuff in a .blb or even .dts.

its not easy or straightforward, but it is possible to automate the process of creating a custom brick based on a save. there have been .bls to .obj converters and it probably would be trivial to tack on an .obj to .blb.

But if you want to apply wrench events on a group of bricks, the new duplicator by zeblote already does that. The old duplicator, which has savedup, does not conflict with the new dup, so you can have both enabled on the server at once, and use /olddup to /savedup whenever you need it.
I am suggesting this to minimize brick count.

What are you building that exceeds 1 million or even 500k or even 250k bricks?

What are you building that exceeds 1 million or even 500k or even 250k bricks?
It does not exceed 256K even, I'd just like to be able to have new trees that I can build and save then place all over the build.

Just duplicate them. Merging multiple bricks into one will not increase performance

Just duplicate them. Merging multiple bricks into one will not increase performance
Why not?

Why not?
It will not reduce the number of faces you have to render.

It will not reduce the number of faces you have to render.
How could I reduce that number then?

How could I reduce that number then?
use designs that compact the bricks together and don't leave empty space in the middle

if you want to see what zeblote means by invisible faces, build a line of 2x2x5h bricks. F8 and go into them. You'll notice all the sides of the bricks that are completely covered by the other bricks are not rendered. The bug when you place bricks in modter and random faces on them disappear (depending on where you put the brick and the size of the brick) is another result of this brick face hiding system, known as the oct tree.

use designs that compact the bricks together and don't leave empty space in the middle

if you want to see what zeblote means by invisible faces, build a line of 2x2x5h bricks. F8 and go into them. You'll notice all the sides of the bricks that are completely covered by the other bricks are not rendered. The bug when you place bricks in modter and random faces on them disappear (depending on where you put the brick and the size of the brick) is another result of this brick face hiding system, known as the oct tree.
How can I build a tree into bricks, force it into one brick, then remove all the internal faces? Would you or someone else be able to remove the internal faces for me through Blender or Milkshape?

i remember somebody from a long time ago wanting builds made with only 10 bricks to turn into 1 brick (because of the limit on collision fields i think)

could be worth a read

i remember somebody from a long time ago wanting builds made with only 10 bricks to turn into 1 brick (because of the limit on collision fields i think)

could be worth a read
Do you have the link?