Author Topic: Creating a WWI game for university - Need someone who knows their stuff.  (Read 1556 times)

Creating a top-down 2D game for this semester's project. Researching is taking a long time, would appreciate it if I could get some help.
Also as I'll be creating the art style, I'll need someone to give me pointers to good top-down games which have got nice graphical sprites.

Already have an idea for game play, may release the game for release once it's completed.

That's not really enough info. Will it include vehicles? Will it focus on a specific nation? Will it focus on a certain front?

I don't want to go into too much detail with realism, it'll be generally British vs Germany. Looking for inspiration from Somme and Verdun battles.

Also, the target audience isn't public, I have an assignment criteria to hit so don't expect an AAA game.

top-down? holy stuff a twin-stick WWI game would be loving beautiful, pls consider

mash a to put on gasmask

top-down? holy stuff a twin-stick WWI game would be loving beautiful, pls consider
I'll provide a more detailed explanation of how the game will work, but twin sticks definitely will not be on the cards.

Think; tower defense/top down shooter/base building/wave orientated.

I'll provide a more detailed explanation of how the game will work, but twin sticks definitely will not be on the cards.

Very fitting for the first world war. The whole thing was a very complicated mexican standoff. Units would occasionally charge over the trench walls in a mad dash across the field to get into the opposing area. I would recommend against making it a pure defense game and add some aggressive elements to it.

While the enemy can send waves at you, you can also send waves at them. The units would be very easily killed of course and get pinned down or killed in the no-man's-land. You could deploy different tactics such as investing an in-game currency to spend on units or research technologies. You could also have units work on making a tunnel to the other side and rigging explosives. Or you could even invest heavily in armor technologies and send tanks rolling across their trenches, (their obvious weakness being artillery or even breakdowns, since WW1 tanks were not very reliable).

machine gunners could have blind spots

tanks could have breakdowns

infantry in no-mans-land would be weak to entrenched infantry

artillery would have a long cooldown time etc

The actual no-man's-land could be a place where dead infantry and failed charges "pile" up, making it more difficult to cross due to barb wire and bodies as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:42:45 PM by Tayasaurus »

sounds like a top down version of toy soldiers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:53:51 PM by Jairo »

Just show them Valiant Hearts the Great War

mash b to not die from the bullet in your shoulder

Running with rifles is a good example, I really like that games art style, but that's 3D :|

gas mask simulator

Serious*:

I'd suggest making colour vibrancy very important, but all you'd see is giant clouds of yellow.

* seriously morbid