Author Topic: Blockland Russian Roulette eventing help  (Read 2162 times)

Currently I am creating the once popular, but short lived game show Russian Roulette for blockland. But during the eventing, I ran into a speed bump with the "spinning of the chamber" and chance for a player to drop as seen here: https://youtu.be/V7_cgU7JSJg?t=7s

Is this eventing based on a randomized chance possible? Or would this be more hassle than it is worth?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and If I am posting in the wrong topic I apoligize in advance, as I have no real clue on where I should've placed this topic.

It is easy to randomize with events, once you know how to.

If a projectile is shot from a brick, it chooses a randomized spot to start from, somewhere in the brick.
This projectile can be caught to create a random output.

For example.
If you take a 1x4 plate and shoot a projectile down. Then put 4 1x1 plates under it.
It will randomly hit one of the 4 1x1 plates.
Then use onProjectileHit to trigger anything you like.

But beware.
The projectile doesn't spawn from the edge of the brick.
The edge of where the projectile starts from, is in the middle of the stud.
Which means my example of the 1x4 plate wouldn't give a correct randomized output.
Instead the chance of every 1x1 plate being hit by 25%, the 2 plates outside plates having half the chance of what the inside 2 plates have.

The way I do it is: when one of the 2 outside plates are hit, it sends an other projectile and tries again.

So for your example with a random of 6, I would use a 1x8 plate and let the outside 1x1 plates under it fire the projectile again if they are hit.

I can make you a drawing if I am not clear enough.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:05:43 PM by honytawk »

woah did not know this about the edge chance ^

Thank you hony, Just to be on the safeside, I would greatly appreciate a visual aid to help out

- - - -
XXXX

The - - - - is the brick on top, a 1x4 for instance. On this brick:
[input] -> self -> spawnProjectile -> 0  0  -30  Arrow  0  0  0
The X are four individual bricks below the other one. On these bricks:
onProjectileHit -> etc.

I think he means like a video of someone doing it
yea but that still serves the purpose of a visual example

I got this image:

This is the sideview of my example for a 6 number randomizer.

The red is the 1x8 plate from which the projectile is shot downwards.
The blue are the 1x1 plates that will be triggered by a projectile, so use onProjectile hit on those to trigger your events.
The 2 orange are also 1x1 plates, but when they get onProjectileHit, they send an other projectile to try again to hit one of the blues.
The yellow with black arrows is the area the projectile will spawn in when shot down from the red brick.

Because the yellow doesn't start from the sides of the red brick, the orange bricks have only half the chance to get hit compared to the blue bricks.
So they can't be used for randomizing, because then you get wrong statistics.

I can also say that the best projectile to use is the radio wave.
They don't make much noise or destroy bricks.
I think they are specifically designed for these types of contraptions too.

woah did not know this about the edge chance ^
Yeah, that is why when you shoot a projectile from a 1x1 brick it will always spawn at the exact middle of the brick.
Because it starts at half a stud away from the sides.
And because the 1x1 brick is only 1 stud wide, it starts in the middle.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:23:42 AM by honytawk »

Or you could just use VCE.

Or you could just use VCE.
I have had a lot of problems with VCE.
Especially if you use it in a lot of things.
So this is the way that can be used in every server, not just the ones with a certain addon.

Really nice illustration by the way.

Russian Roulette
Buy one of these, pack up a beaner, get 6 friends pass it around untill it pops. than have a good laugh

Welp, the eventing has taken a turn for the frustrating, I keep getting nagged about "Too many events at once! (onActivate)". This didn't happen to me yesterday, so why is it happening now?

Even with delay timers, the error keeps occuring when it didn't happen at all yesterday... What is going on and how can I fix this?

Try increasing the schedules in Advanced when starting the server.

Try increasing the schedules in Advanced when starting the server.
Yep, that did the trick, I thank all of you for your help in getting the build jumpstarted for a single guy.