Poll

Will Trump get re-elected in 2020?

Yes
No

Author Topic: POLITICS & DONALD Annoying Orange MEGATHREAD  (Read 2178282 times)

\ is the new conservative slogan

waiting on salon to make it a tribal hate symbol

Surely there must be more nuance to the discussion? I don't imagine this topic is a "One way or the other" kind of thing whatsoever.

There's a sliding scale to the amount of empathy you're allowed to have before you start shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of morality

the classic 'save a life and shoot yourself in the foot' scenario

damn i cant imagine what i'll do without my feet.... sorry abdullah you will have to find another place to remove the mine fragments out of your daughter's skull, i cant risk losing my beautiful pedicure. hopefully you'll understand
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:18:52 PM by PhantOS »

Also I think it's also difficult to discuss since different sides have different priorities. Such as Deus Ex prioritizes the state, while I prioritize the people. I do agree that there is a scale, but I don't believe it's quite as dramatic as shooting yourself in the foot, more like stubbing your toe.

not my pedicure! noooo

not my pedicure! noooo

I know chipped toenails are a pain :(

There's a sliding scale to the amount of empathy you're allowed to have before you start shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of morality

So what's your solution, stopping foreign aid because it'll "Chop our balls off"?

empathy and effective policies mix about as well as paper and fire

this is well known. the former is centered around helping your fellow man as our lord and savior jesus christ would, and the other is about making as much money as possible

benevolence vs greed, pick your poison

So what's your solution, stopping foreign aid because it'll "Chop our balls off"?

I'm talking about immigration policy not foreign aid
Then again considering we have so many homeless people I have to wonder why we're offering up money to people outside the country anyway

I don't think basing laws purely off of emotional response is a good idea, but you can inform policy from empathy. If politicians were more empathetic, we'd probably have a less-forgeted-up society. Maybe one with more failed social programs, yeah, but definitely better all-around.

Then again considering we have so many homeless people I have to wonder why we're offering up money to people outside the country anyway
In my experience there isn't a whole lot of overlap between people who oppose humanitarian aid and people who support using taxpayer money to aid the homeless.

surely foreign aid would pay off more in the long run than trying to accept and integrate thousands or more people into a country.

surely foreign aid would pay off more in the long run than trying to accept and integrate thousands or more people into a country.
This is one of the stronger arguments for increasing/continuing humanitarian aid. If we're going to be Team America: World Police so often, it is cheaper for us to just provide aid that helps keep the world more stable and peaceful.

Oh yeah definitely, I'm just being a richard about it

If we're going to be Team America: World Police so often, it is cheaper for us to just provide aid that helps keep the world more stable and peaceful.

correct statement