POLITICS & DONALD Annoying Orange MEGATHREAD

Poll

Will Trump get re-elected in 2020?

Yes
No

Author Topic: POLITICS & DONALD Annoying Orange MEGATHREAD  (Read 2178009 times)

raising up the minimum wage up to $15 will be good for like a month. then inflation will kick in
The thing is inflation has never mattered when it's been raised before, whether that's been in the US or in Canada, and it's not like he's going to be raising it all at once. It's gonna be over the entire 4 year term.

Every candidate would continue the drone strike program, even poster boy of ethics Bernie Sanders. Keep that in mind when criticizing Annoying Orange.

what exactly is so bad about the drone strike system

Every candidate would continue the drone strike program, even poster boy of ethics Bernie Sanders. Keep that in mind when criticizing Annoying Orange.
I wouldn't say that Bernie has a clean slate as far as ethics go.
what exactly is so bad about the drone strike system
There are a lot of constitutional and legal concerns. The major one being that it allows the executive branch of the US to commit military action without congressional oversight or approval.

The major one being that it allows the executive branch of the US to commit military action without congressional oversight or approval.
this is true of pretty much any military action. the executive branch has effectively exclusive power over the military. the only direct barrier to this is the war powers resolution, which would probably be struck down as a violation of separation of powers if it were actually challenged in court, not to mention the fact that not supporting the military is political Self Delete (as long as the president has public support). other than that, congress could cut military spending to stop the president, but that'd be a risky tactic if you wanted to get re-elected.

basically, as long as the president has public support for their use of the military, they can do whatever the forgeto they want

don't get me wrong, drones could be a scary thing, but constitutionally there's not much stopping them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:26:18 PM by otto-san »

I wouldn't say that Bernie has a clean slate as far as ethics go. There are a lot of constitutional and legal concerns. The major one being that it allows the executive branch of the US to commit military action without congressional oversight or approval.
don't forget that when drones are used to assassinate suspected terrorists, particularly us citizens, it voids the right to a trial by jury. I remember there was a case of a US citizen in Yemen who was suspected of being a terrorist, but no solid proof at that point, and he was killed by a drone and it was fairly controversial.

don't forget that when drones are used to assassinate suspected terrorists, particularly us citizens, it voids the right to a trial by jury. I remember there was a case of a US citizen in Yemen who was suspected of being a terrorist, but no solid proof at that point, and he was killed by a drone and it was fairly controversial.
Yeah but the DoJ had some pretty sound reasoning behind authorizing the strike.

Yeah but the DoJ had some pretty sound reasoning behind authorizing the strike.
I don't disagree that the reasoning was sound, but rather, I'm afraid of a Pandora's Box situation where such things become normal and are never questioned at all.

Scaling the minimum wage to adjust for inflation is actually a good thing. The major drawback of raising the minimum wage is that it increases the price of human labor, resulting in lay-offs and unemployment.

The counter-argument to that latter point is that companies will create more jobs in the long-term by anticipating an increase in consumer demand among minimum wage workers. At this point, I'm pretty much convinced that there is no study that presents all of the data without a clear bias one way or the other. 
My economics professor wrote a paper about this and he believes that raising the minimum wage to $15 dollars and hour is not only do-able, but will have little impact on unemployment, if any at all.

He argues that raising the minimum wage to $15 would:
1) Increase worker production and reduce employee turnover
2) Prices of products or food (such as a Big Mac) would increase, in total, by less than $1 and since the price increase is so small, it would have little impact on demand
3) Fast food (since his article focuses on fast food) is a growing industry and increased wages would only slightly decrease the annual growth rate

He claims that raising the minimum wage to $15 (specifically in fast food) wouldn't cause businesses to shed workers or experience large decreases in revenue

My economics professor wrote a paper about this and he believes that raising the minimum wage to $15 dollars and hour is not only do-able, but will have little impact on unemployment, if any at all.

He argues that raising the minimum wage to $15 would:
1) Increase worker production and reduce employee turnover
2) Prices of products or food (such as a Big Mac) would increase, in total, by less than $1 and since the price increase is so small, it would have little impact on demand
3) Fast food (since his article focuses on fast food) is a growing industry and increased wages would only slightly decrease the annual growth rate

He claims that raising the minimum wage to $15 (specifically in fast food) wouldn't cause businesses to shed workers or experience large decreases in revenue

Minimum wage needs to be higher in major cities where the cost of living is expensive. But not everywhere. Small businesses in the corn belts might not be able to operate paying their employees $15 / hour, etc.

Minimum wage needs to be higher in major cities where the cost of living is expensive. But not everywhere. Small businesses in the corn belts might not be able to operate paying their employees $15 / hour, etc.
Agreed. Fast food could probably get by due to their volume of sales and relatively lower cost of operation. Some businesses do not have profit margins as high or such a volume of activity, especially small businesses. Chains, i can see it working, but mom and pop stores, probably less so.

this is my sole complaint about higher wages
i can see $10-12 working alright in major cities/rapidly expanding towns down here, but $15 is a bit over the edge

federal minimum should be $10, let towns/cities determine ne what it should be specifically

abolish federal minimum wage

looks like i'm going to FEEL THE BERN really personally tomorrow.

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/event/detail/rally/4gtbf

i'll be attending the rally and hopefully meeting my bern bern, but MAN this is weird. it's being hosted at my old high school...this is gonna be fun.