Who/what inspired you to start modeling?

Author Topic: Who/what inspired you to start modeling?  (Read 1296 times)

So I decided I want to start modeling for Blockland..
I am familiar with the 3-D modeling program "Sketch-Up" as I went to a vocational school for Interactive Media for two years. I am somewhat
I even got the privilege to use the 3-D printer there which was pretty kick ass. I touched base with Blender as well. More than likely the program I will use because I'm comfortable with that program.
Anyways, share with me your stories on modeling, I will take some suggestions on what I should start off doing, as long as it's not too complex.

this'd probably go in creativity if I'd have to guess

OT: I've been meaning to figure out how to work blender for a while now but I don't really have the motivation to do it

Bushido is my 3D lord and savior

In my opinion Bushido was the first person to really utilize the default and blocky style of blockland and expand it into a well balanced weapon pack. Not only do his weapons feel cool and clunky to wield, but the weapon code and damage balance matches the looks well and makes it feel amazing, especially for classic themed death matches.

Although Bushido specializes specifically in weapons and guns, you can still find people who are amazing at modeling other types of add-ons, such as Filipe and Teneksi for vehicles, gravity cat for vehicles and guns, etc.

Just a little trade secret about modeling, the key to making good models is to be consistent in your style. Don't make a couple basic models and then a lot of high quality models; make sure you stick to a certain style and have all your models follow that style, or at least in the set you're working on. Since you improve your style with every model you design, you may find yourself going back and remodeling a lot of old outdated models. I did an old New Vegas weapon pack a couple years ago, and every time I tried to revisit it I had to remodel everything from scratch in order to maintain the feel and style.

In terms of quality, there is no such thing as good or bad quality. It's your own style of modeling, and there will always be people who like it, no matter how good or bad it is. Just make sure you put effort into it though. Nobody will like a model that is basically to boxes on top of each other that took you two minutes to make.

Be sure to explore the threads on the Modification Discussion and see what kind of models you feel look nice, and don't be afraid to ask other people for their opinions on your models.

this'd probably go in creativity if I'd have to guess
It doesn't really have to since it isn't much of a showcase of creativity as much as it is a question
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:59:19 AM by Path »

Well, my beautiful looks did, of course.

I wanted to make my own guns in blocklandd so I started doing stuff

Also in terms of what program you decide to use, it's really important that you use whatever tool you're most comfortable with. As long as you know how to operate it, there really is no limit to how well you can model.

I speak from personal experience. A favorite of most 3D model artists here on blockland is Blender, specifically for its versitality and power. However, I've been using sketch up for well over 5 years and I've grown so accustom to it that I really can't use any other program. Even though sketch up is a very basic modeling program, I'm able to operate it so well that I can design models as good as those produced by someone using blender.

Whichever program you find to be the most simple is the preferred option.

If you ever need some tips or help with the modeling process, feel free to PM me and I can give you some suggestions, as well as get you in contact with some really skilled modelers cough cough khain cough cough
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:05:37 AM by Path »

I started modelling because of BL, but stopped after my interest in the game did as well. I took a Maya class at my college last semester, which was fun. Got to learn an industry standard (and get a student version of the program :^) ).

(and get a student version of the program :^) ).
Can't absolutely anyone sign up for a student copy though? I did a few years ago when I wasn't even a student

Can't absolutely anyone sign up for a student copy though? I did a few years ago when I wasn't even a student

Probably, I just didn't look into it until they mentioned it, so. I assume you'd probably need a school email though.

This isn't "discuss how you got into game design", so I'll shorten that bit to say I started developing games in 2009.

I was feeling confident, looking at HaloMaps. "I could totally do that stuff," a younger me pronounced. I still have a copy of the tutorial video I downloaded way back when our cap was 10GBs (massive in a time before I was regularly using Facebook and YouTube) and download speeds were virtually dial-up. 70 forgetIN' MEGABYTES. THAT'S HUGE. It wasn't all I had to download either; the HEK and GMax (and all the other tools and tag collections) weren't cheap in terms of download size or time spent downloading, but I really wanted to make HaloMaps from scratch. I was so set on making the world's first Halo overhaul that would make me a millionaire and famous.

I still remember that afternoon. I would watch about 10 seconds of the video, jump into GMax, replicate, go back, double check all my values and then continue forward. At the time, I thought nothing strange of the guy and his voice, and I didn't really understand terms like "normals", "distortion" or "UVs". Amazingly, I was able to grasp a lot about the modeling process in those tutorials; I figured out for myself why the tutorial had us tessellate the level we were creating (to make more verticies for softer hills), and I even discovered a few shortcuts to the long and tedious parts of the video.

The level compiled perfectly, and in she went. With that tutorial out of the way, I then went ahead and messed with the engine mapping tools; it wouldn't be for a while before I tried to walk the path on my own. The results...were loving ghastly.

I pretty quickly gave up on this map (and modelling in general for a while); not because it was putrid stuff (I was too stupid to see that), but rather because I was a bored and dumb kid and I wanted to do something else. The map never got in engine; not for lack of trying, but rather lack of understanding (the documentation which I did read states very clearly that all "holes" must be closed, and you can see some pretty gaping ones all over the place).

For a long while, I spent a lot of my time interacting with modelling programs like Lightwave and 3DS Max while extracting game assets, for various purposes. There was also the abysmal Drama HSC animation, which I doubt I'll ever live down, which was my attempt at a 3D CGI animation using extract LEGO and GTA models. All of this was without training or experience; just playing with buttons and knobs and trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Nowadays, I'm formally trained in Maya, Max and Mudbox (which is a sculpting program, but I use it in cooperation with Mudbox). I reckon I'm decent; it's just not where I like spending my time (I prefer to be a programmer/writer).

ive had a passion for 3D modeling ever since before I made the entrepreneur  staff. only problem was I didn't want to use milkshape and blender was wayyy too complicated for me.

thank god my main man kobe(warrior) knew how to model in blender, so I asked him for help and after a year of modeling I got it down really good.

now I just have to learn to script ;_;

Oh boy here we go..

So it all started back in 2011, I saw that we had very few vehicles that interested me in Blockland so I wanted to start modelling my own, which I got inspired by my friend Ragref to do it, I've watched some milkshape 3D tutorials to help me out and my very first model was this.

An attempt at a Renault 5, and ever since I tried improving my modelling skills, a few friends of mine which made add-ons before also helped me so I could learn how to make them work in-game, like Barnabas for example who awnsered a lot of my questions, I am very thankful for them and I still model stuff today, for comparison here is one of my latest models.

Brent Cronus (View in 3D)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:24:41 AM by Filipe »

blockland did

it all started in torque constructor when maps where still around. i also dabbled in milkshape but was straight ass at it and never touched modelling again till like, 2012 when i realized 3d models could make my digital art look better. now i try to incorporate 3d in everything

My Engineering Tools class.

I do quite a bit of modelling at school in my design/manufacture class, so that