dopewars - Multiplayer Text-Based Drug Dealing [SERVERTEST]

Author Topic: dopewars - Multiplayer Text-Based Drug Dealing [SERVERTEST]  (Read 1135 times)

dopewars

• wtf is dopewars?

dopewars is a port of an old DOS text based strategy game called drug wars, with added features such as multiplayer.

Drugwars is a turn-based strategy computer game in which the player assumes the role of a drug dealer engaged in arbitrage. The object of the game is to deal the most drugs to pay off the "loan shark" (who charges interest) by the end of the game and make a profit. Drugwars was originally a DOS program created by John E. Dell in 1984.

• ok, where can i get this?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dopewars/

• so, i can play this multiplayer, huh?

yes! i have that vps still so i might as well do something with it!

server IP = 74.208.75.183 (port 7902, the default one)

NOTE= i have literally NO IDEA how this plays online, so if anyone wants to come on and try this out, i wanna see how this goes.

literally the only reason why i am posting this is because i am addicted to it on my watch and i realized how much fun it is on the pc too. lets see how much fun you think this is.

i got 2 mil and then died of smoking weed

Multiplayer: interacting with other players

If you log on to a dopewars server, there is the possibility of meeting other players, either human or computer-controlled. When joining a game which already contains other players, they will be listed to you. Other players which join or leave the game once you are playing will announce their presence to you automatically via the "Messages" window.

When in multiplayer mode, you can send a message to all current players by pressing the "T" key from the main drug prices screen, and then typing in your message. To send a private message, use the "P" key and select the player instead. These messages will appear in the Messages window also.

Another new command in multiplayer mode is the list command ("L" key). This will either list the other players in the game, or the list of high scores maintained by the server which you're connected to.

The "G" key activates the "give errand" command. With this you can sack one of your bitches (with the "G" key again), pay one to tip off the cops to one of the other players, or pay one to leave your employment and to join another player and spy on them for you. In any case, if you lose a bitch you may also lose any drugs or guns which they were carrying (remember that each bitch can carry one gun, and increases your inventory - your available space - by 10).

A tip-off means that Officer Hardass or Bob will attack your chosen enemy when they jet to their next location (and then you will get to hear the result of the encounter). A spy, on the other hand, will present himself to the enemy as a bargain bitch (in the same way as normal "bargain bitches" appear). If your enemy accepts the bitch, you will then be able to see everything about the enemy whenever you like, by pressing the "C" key from the main drug prices screen. Unfortunately, there is a chance that your spy may be discovered by your opponent later on...

If, in the course of normal play, you are carrying one or more guns, and you jet to the a location where another player already is, you will be informed of their presence. You can either ignore them completely (with the "E" key) in which case they will never know you were there, or you can attack them with the "A" key. When you attack another player, or another player attacks you, the main screen which normally lists drug prices at the current location is replaced by the fighting screen. You can switch back from this screen to the drug price screen with the "D" key, but note that the "Jet" command is now missing from the drug price screen - you must instead use the "F" key to return to the fight, and conclude it before continuing on your way.

When in a fight with another player, you can choose not to fire back with the "S" key, you can shoot back with the "F" key, or you can run from the fight with the "R" key. Be aware that if you fail to shoot back at your enemy within five seconds, they can fire at you again (otherwise, shots alternate between you and your enemy). If you kill an enemy bitch, you are awarded a bounty from the cops for killing such a dangerous criminal; if you kill an enemy player (after you've killed all of their bitches) you receive their total assets - their cash and bank balance minus any debt. In either case you can loot the body and pick up any guns or drugs which the bitch or player was carrying.
found some stuff about the multiplayer

found some stuff about the multiplayer

woah, that's alot more than i expected for something like this game.