Brick Wall Prints - 1x2f and 1x2x1 brick wall patterns

Author Topic: Brick Wall Prints - 1x2f and 1x2x1 brick wall patterns  (Read 3372 times)

Brick Wall Prints

You know how tiling 1x2x1 or 1x2f bricks on top of each other in an alternating pattern like this makes for a really neat wall?

Just kidding. Those are 12 1x4x4 print bricks.

I have no idea why this has not been made before. The 1x2x1 print saves a neat 10 bricks and the 1x2f print saves a whopping 28 bricks for a 1x4x4 sized area.

Which ones do you reckon are the prints?

Bottom left and top right.

So what's the catch? Because there always is one.

Print bricks are shiny.

Nothing I can do about that. But the prints are indistinguishable indoors where there is no direct sunlight. About 80 bricks pictured.

Quick dungeon scene: https://i.imgur.com/p4Q9HTv.png

The prints are organized as such from left to right:
  • 1x2x1 Left End
  • 1x2x1 Middle (Tiling)
  • 1x2x1 Right End
  • 1x2x1 Cap (Does not tile)
  • 1x2f Left End
  • 1x2f Middle (Tiling)
  • 1x2f Right End
  • 1x2f Cap (Does not tile)

Looking sharp? The prints are 2048x2048 textures.

But wait, I can almost hear you say "Won't the file size be huge and the load times long?". Nope. That's the magic of PNG optimization. For comparison, the Print_2x2f_Default add-on has seven 512x512 prints at 248 KiB. This add-on has eight 2048x2048 prints at 103 KiB. PNGGauntlet <3

The prints are identical for each add-on, only the name is different.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:49:37 PM by Demian »

this is GREAT

and i'm very impressed on that you made versions for each wall side

this is what donald Annoying Orange wants

we have to get rid of it

this is GREAT

and i'm very impressed on that you made versions for each wall side
I don't half-ass things.

Print bricks are shiny.

I can actually remove that shiny stuff for you.

I've disabled modter prints from being shiny and various other prints.

These can be put to good use.

Everything I've build so far is just a stuffty gray house with alternating bricks.

hmm
I think the amount of shininess is determined by the color of the texture
so maybe if it's a black transparent it's not reflective, but if it's a white transparent it is?
try experimenting

also, maybe make some versions where some 'bricks' are slightly darker/lighter then the others?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:10:48 AM by K3k0m@n »

hmm
I think the amount of shininess is determined by the color of the texture
so maybe if it's a black transparent it's not reflective, but if it's a white transparent it is?
try experimenting
I have. 1% opacity 50% gray background works alright but it does make the color slightly "dimmer" and more importantly it no longer matches with the default blank/space letter print.

also, maybe make some versions where some 'bricks' are slightly darker/lighter then the others?
I will release it as a separate add-on but it will have to be regular repeating pattern to work. I really don't feel like making several irregular patterns.

You put an almost invisible gray overlay over the print and it doesn't shine anymore.

Is it just me or do they seem a bit bigger than the normal bricks?

Is it just me or do they seem a bit bigger than the normal bricks?
It's just you. They are exactly the right size. Even on the minimum texture quality. Bottom left and top right are prints.

It's just you. They are exactly the right size. Even on the minimum texture quality. Bottom left and top right are prints.
Ah, alright. Probably the fact that I have 160 fov in game :L