Author Topic: City RPG Servers  (Read 2988 times)

I'm new to the forums, so please don't ban me or anything if I am on the wrong board. I'm writing this because my favorite type of servers on BlockLand are CityRPG servers. However, they always seem to be there for a few days, and then go down randomly, and never come back. An example is Iphone's server. It was just up yesterday, went down, and it's still not back, and if it follows suit of other city RPG's it won't come back. Why is this?

You're on the right board, you don't have to be concerned about that.

On topic, probably because he stops hosting. iirc he doesn't do dedicated like other CRPGs do

CityRPGs are incredibly hard to host.

CityRPGs are incredibly hard to host.
This is completely false.

OT: I highly suggest avoiding iPhone's server. While you may enjoy it, he uses many stolen buildings / script that is not his / promotes his donations which are for a fraudulent purpose. By joining his server, therefore making it more popular and him more arrogant, you're only aiding in his efforts to be a terrible person.

here's my theory on city rpgs:
they come in seasons. someone hosts one city rpg that is popular, and it sets off a huge chain of people attempting to one-up each other until the trend dies out, which ends the season. there's usually a city rpg season during the spring, summer, and winter, where like 500 city rpgs are hosted because hosting a city rpg isn't difficult at all. you don't have to code anything, just build a stuff map and put that on a dedicated server and you're done. if hosting a city rpg wasn't difficult, we wouldn't have city rpg seasons at all. unfortunately idiot people exist so we only have these bad city rpg server seasons like the one we're in now

This is completely false.
I've hosted 20+ CityRPG servers and not one has been easy. You need to find decent administration for when you're gone, you need to set up a dedicated server, building a new map takes time, the mod is hard to work with and buggy, you need to answer tons of questions from new players, consistent game crashes and occassional DDoS's ruin people's builds, bugs need to be constantly fixed to curb exploiters, IT'S BORING AS forget, and even after all that you have to deal with the onslaught of people who think that just because they overplayed the gamemode they're allowed to hem and haw at the very concept of it. Like really, people have asked me to bring my CityRPG back up, but it really isn't even worth doing anymore.

-snip-
I've observed the same thing with SMM and Mafia Madness Too servers to a lesser extent. Guess it's natural for people to compete for players, especially if it's as easy as downloading a popular gamemode and hosting it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:50:33 PM by QuadStorm »

I stopped hosting my City RPG in the summer because of a significant issue in the code. Once it's fixed, I can see myself putting it up for long-term.

I've hosted 20+ CityRPG servers and not one has been easy.

You've hosted 20 loving times? That's basically why I've given up on them. No consistency.

Probably entered 10 cityrps in my time and established myself (getting high profile jobs and making the city worth joining with neat builds). It all ends with a reset or a shutdown. I've given up, seeing the host never gives a jackstuff.

I've observed the same thing with SMM and Mafia Madness Too servers to a lesser extent. Guess it's natural for people to compete for players, especially if it's as easy as downloading a popular gamemode and hosting it.
i got sick of waiting for an MM2 server to start so i just made my own scripts to allow for a 24/7 one
i'll try my hand at map rotation as well later on

I actually like CRPGs

Although the hosts are 75% of the time bad.

Ty, Aoki, Iphone, Iban (dunno if he hosted it but he put backdoors in his version).
I found a good CRPG before but the host shut it down and gave it to someone else.

I found a good CRPG before but the host shut it down and gave it to someone else.
That sounds like mine. I couldn't do dedicated hosting and rgbn offered to host it for me.

Meh. Played out mod, is also a broken unfinished mod.
I dont even understand the appeal of those stupid servers.

I stopped dev on mine and wasn't sure to ever start again.

That sounds like mine. I couldn't do dedicated hosting and rgbn offered to host it for me.
I'm not sure if it was you but the person said they were giving it to sentry