Author Topic: Steam increased their trading/market item hold time to 15 days  (Read 3813 times)

"roughly 95% of daily trades use the mobile authenticator"
as flatflyer suggests it's because people without the mobile authenticator doesn't want to trade anymore because of the hold time
how do you adjust for that?
a better stat would be on how many active users have mobile authentication

Not sure if the BlueStacks alternative still works, but it's worth a try.

I think the mobile auth is great. It even pushes the code to your notifications without opening the phone which makes it rediculously easy to login with the benefit of security.

I just read that the trade hold is still one day for "long-time Steam friends", not sure how that's calculated, but that's fine i guess, i don't trade with strangers anyway

i dont have a phone and so selling items on the market just became impossible for me

I just read that the trade hold is still one day for "long-time Steam friends", not sure how that's calculated, but that's fine i guess, i don't trade with strangers anyway

At least one year

a better stat would be on how many active users have mobile authentication

That would definitely be better, I'd like to see those numbers actually

I think the point still stands though that this is the best option for account security, Steam accounts getting hijacked is definitely a big problem (hell, there have been 3 attempts to hijack my own account in the last several months that were stopped by my mobile authenticator, which is a big reason why I advocate it so much) so I feel like the more security the better

I suppose they could make it so you could opt out of trade holds if you don't care about maximum account security at the cost of forfeiting your ability to get account retrieval support or something like that, though they'd have to set it so that option takes time to toggle or a hijacker could just flip the switch after getting access to the account

Steam is trying to kill trading

the steam app is broken on my friend's iphone 5 its pretty double sided
works fine on mine

I still don't see how people are getting scammed, like seriously I can get the whole paypal thing but that's where it should end

works fine on mine

Yeah, there really shouldn't be a problem with iphone because of how limited it is, it shouldn't be any different from anyone elses

Not sure if the BlueStacks alternative still works, but it's worth a try.
pretty sure it requires a sim

boo hoo, muh tf2 hats :(((((((

cry about it. valve allows dumb 12 year olds into their game's communities because they have their mom's credit card. all they want it quick money, not your trust or respect. they couldn't give a stuff about their trading communities.

First there was no security.

Then there was email notifications to confirm trading. (It should have ended here)

Then there was trade holds which last from 3 days to 7 days.

Now there is trade market which is 15 days which makes no sense because market and trading are different things.

Listing on the Steam Community Market will have a hold of 15 days before an item can be sold

So just in case my brother or whatever hijacked my steam account and is selling all my items so he can buy himself a gift with my money? Sounds more like a personal issue not an online issue.

This is going to kill market selling during winter and summer sales because those stuffty trading cards expire within a week and you have to wait 15 days just to sell it. They will expire before you get to sell them lol.

Now there is trade market which is 15 days which makes no sense because market and trading are different things.
Trading scams works because it means you can quickly dump the items from a hijacked account and then sell them on the market or trade them with unwitting people for additional credit.

Because of the restrictions on trading, scammers were then hijacking accounts, liquidating the product via the market (selling goods ASAP) and then using the Steam credit to either buy more expensive items/games for their own accounts or do other things.

Chances if you can hijack an account without them noticing because they don't log in anymore then 15 days won't make a difference.