Author Topic: Steam increased their trading/market item hold time to 15 days  (Read 3809 times)

http://store.steampowered.com/news/20631/

what the hell valve, I understand you want to keep things secure but shafting anybody who doesnt own a smartphone is the worst way to do it.

I was originally angry, but after actually reading this announcement (instead of people's summaries of it), I discovered that the hold time increase only applies to those not using the Steam Mobile Guard Authenticator thingy.

Frankly, if you're not in a position to set up 2-step auth in this day and age, I don't have much sympathy for you.

jesus forget i just want to give my friend the new case so he can open it but by the time he can have it itll be freaken 5 cents and he can just buy it

I was originally angry, but after actually reading this announcement (instead of people's summaries of it), I discovered that the hold time increase only applies to those not using the Steam Mobile Guard Authenticator thingy.

Frankly, if you're not in a position to set up 2-step auth in this day and age, I don't have much sympathy for you.

the steam app is broken on my friend's iphone 5 its pretty double sided

yeah but not everyone has a phone

and not everyone has the effort to register the phone

and last but not least, not everyone wants to

They said that roughly 95% of people who do trades have a mobile authenticator, so while I do feel bad for people who have circumstances out of their control preventing them from using it, I feel like that relatively small group of people shouldn't be holding security back for the rest of the Steam community

It's kind of the same principle of when people with an outdated game console want companies to keep making titles for it instead of moving on to the newer one

That's not to say that Steam shouldn't be working to get some sort of alternative or at least make sure it works on all smart phones, of course

and last but not least, not everyone wants to

I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to if they have the option

It increases account security to a level that makes it -- as far as I know -- impossible to hijack unless you're fooled into inputting your authentication code into a phishing website and the hijacker uses it immediately before the code expires, or you store your backup codes in plain text on your computer and some sort of malware gets a hold of it

Losing your phone isn't a big deal because there are recovery options in place to unlink your phone and still log into your account to fix things

They said that roughly 95% of people who do trades have a mobile authenticator
where did this come from?

also that 95% is probably also incorrect because people who dont have mobile authentication probably dont even bother trying to trade because of holding times, thus making it seem like more of a majority of traders are using it :I

Rather aggravating. It's not a trouble when I'm using my account, but if I want to send my alt. account some CS:GO items for the time I'm on it, I have to wait 15 days now just to get my stuff back on my account? The forget, brah.

where did this come from?

also that 95% is probably also incorrect because people who dont have mobile authentication probably dont even bother trying to trade because of holding times, thus making it seem like more of a majority of traders are using it :I

That doesn't make it incorrect though, in fact that's exactly what the statistic says: it's 95% of the people doing trades

You're definitely right about the data possibly being skewed because of people who don't even try, but how do you adjust for that?

jesus forget i just want to give my friend the new case so he can open it but by the time he can have it itll be freaken 5 cents and he can just buy it
Rather aggravating. It's not a trouble when I'm using my account, but if I want to send my alt. account some CS:GO items for the time I'm on it, I have to wait 15 days now just to get my stuff back on my account? The forget, brah.

If you've been friends with an account for at least 1 year, the hold when trading to it is reduced to 1 day

Losing your phone isn't a big deal because there are recovery options in place to unlink your phone and still log into your account to fix things

ah ok

that's what i was worried about

soon it is going to be 3 months are we in the 1800s now

I don't have a phone, guess i won't be trading ever again