RTB should be default. (Here come the pages)

Poll

Should it?

Yes
11 (18%)
No
12 (19.7%)
Shut up
20 (32.8%)
No you shut up
18 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: RTB should be default. (Here come the pages)  (Read 2982 times)

Blockland doesn't, but steam can remove files from the game folder, that is where the whole issue relies.

Are you sure this isn't just a stuff implementation by other games? Surely workshop can be added in a useful way that doesn't have direct access to the mod folder.

Workshop is better than nothing
And it'd welcome newer steam players to the wonderful world of addons
Pretty sure the nothing we have now (Blockland Glass) Is better then the crap that workshop is, and like I said, the workshop would only work fine for builds, addons would be hell to deal with with all the fake DMCA complaints and would also split the addon community, it would even kill Blockland Glass and BLG is a superior service.

A smarter thing to do would be to point Players to Blockland Glass, instead of giving a stuff service.

Look at gmod as an example, I have brought this up 3 times already every time Steam Workshop is brought up, but gmod's workshop is loving terrible, everything is categorized poorly, addons are constantly being taken down by bs DMCA complaints, addons sometimes refuse to update and have to be deleted and re-uploaded, and worse of all, If a content creator takes down his/her content, it will be removed from your game that means you would need to "subscribe" to the addon again and re-download it or if its a useful addon and somebody wants to be a richard, they can DMCA it and it will be down and peoplew ill need to re-subscribe to it to use the damn thing.

The sole fact that the workshop relies on a subscription based system ruins any implementation of workshop, and to add to it the flaws in the DMCA Complaint system are bad enough that they can be abused poorly.

If I was not clear enough let me make a clear example of how it would roll if Blockland had this system.

So say you use slayer, and its a addon you rely on > somebody gets pissed and goes on a DMCA spree > Greek2me gets a DMCA Complaint on slayer and its taken down for the reason "stolen code" > greek2me will be unable to re-upload slayer until his ban is lifted and when slayer would be removed from teh workshop as a result of the DMCA complaint everybody who subscribed to it will have it REMOVED FROM THEIR ADDON FOLDER, it should be noted this is not Blockland's doing but the Steam Service would be the one removing the file.

And while you can appeal a DMCA complaint the odds of stopping one from taking down your content are slim, because usually by the time you get the Complaint your content is already taken down, so now just imagine the above scenario on a bigger scale, that includes all the people who are permabanned from the forums or Blockland and despise it greatly, DMCA complaints would be thrown 24/7 making it a horrible experience, worse than other games.

Are you sure this isn't just a stuff implementation by other games? Surely workshop can be added in a useful way that doesn't have direct access to the mod folder.
I'm afraid not, Besiege, Gmod, Skyrim, TF2, CS:GO, Portal 2, all work by having steam write into the game's folder in the steamapps>common folder or if the game is installed elsewhere, steam has read and write privileges that includes deleting or modifying files.