Author Topic: Favorite type of musical sound/instrument?  (Read 1358 times)

I'm curious, what're your favorite sounds/instruments in music? I have quite a few, in no particular order:

• a lot of synths used in lee nicklen's music (think early nitrome games)- I can't really put my finger on what they are, but all I know is that they sound forgetin a++. especially the bassy sorta ones. examples: 1 2 3
  • the upright bass- ok, I may be a bit biased here because I play the instrument in orchestra but boy, does it sound excellent when played right. 1 2 3
  • hell, why not throw in the electric bass while we're at it? as you can tell from this list so far, I'm fairly biased towards bass instruments. you can call me the bassman. examples: this guy's entire goddamn channel
  • orchestra hits- they can make good bridges between musical phrases, and can also double as rather creative lead instruments. examples: pretty much all of metallic madness's japanese soundtrack
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:50:32 PM by Glass Joe »

this guitar intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIHN3Psrdc
and the bass in the background of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkJkwnXQZ8

i bought a bass guitar because of the second one

• a lot of synths used in lee nicklen's music (think early nitrome games)- I can't really put my finger on what they are, but all I know is that they sound forgetin a++. especially the bassy sorta ones.

From what I can tell, the first two examples you gave mostly sound like pretty standard chiptune sounds, maybe more like those heard on a Commodore 64 than, say, NES.

On that note, there are a lot of chiptune-specific sounds that I love, that you just don't hear anywhere else.  Triangle waves and rapid arpeggios in particular.

I also really agree with you on the acoustic bass.  Hell, I even commented on the first video you linked!  And as a SNES/Amiga music aficionado, I particularly appreciate the sound of a sampled acoustic bass like you might hear in Donkey Kong Country.  It's a sound I'm using extensively in Chatters the Squirrel.

I love the sound of the tanpura, or "tambura" depending on how you anglicize it.  It's just a drone instrument, so it can't actually play melodies, but it has a great sound.  Some video game soundtracks actually sample a tanpura note and use it melodically, however.  A great example is the lava stage theme from New Super Mario Bros.  It has an awesomely nostalgic quality I can't quite describe.

Of course, how could I go on this long without mentioning how much I love every bluegrass instrument?  Because I do.  The banjo.  The acoustic guitar.  The fiddle.  The mandolin.  Plus, the upright acoustic bass fits right in here, as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:15:11 PM by Plastiware »

the gawk of a snare, melodic Annoying Orangeet, and melodic violin.

Saxophone and synthesizer

Shamisens playing harmonic minor stuff is really nice, and oldschool house stabs and the juno pad(?) in the begging of this are both great as well.