Workshop support, or some other service?

Author Topic: Workshop support, or some other service?  (Read 2580 times)

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

One of the main points of Blockland is the level of possible customization.  Very rarely do you join servers that are running complete vanilla Blockland.  Add-ons are an integral part of the game, and while installation of add-ons is simple and easy, the hardest part is simply finding the right add-ons.  RTB used to have everything categorized, and really promoted creation of new add-ons because it was so easy to find what you wanted.  Here, we have everything clumped into one board, without any way to filter for a certain category, such as weapons, vehicles, environmental files, and so on.

One of the huge advantages of using Steam Workshop is that add-on installation is made so much easier.  Everything is broken down into categories, and all it takes to download one is a simple click of the 'subscribe' button, and voila the add-on is installed and will be automatically updated every time an update is released.  What we got instead was a rushed, anticlimactic steam release that left everyone confused as to what the whole point was in the first place.  It seems now that the Steam release was never intended to revitalize the game, but instead to be a dull selling point.  All the potential that comes with the game being on Steam is left untapped.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT:  Many users in this thread have brought up some really good points as to why workshop is bad.  So what are your opinions on a system like BL Glass, or some other add-on sorting system?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:10:07 AM by ABlockOfCheese »

It'd be nice, but i don't think it'll be happening any time soon seeing as Badspot seems too pre-occupied with other things to add workshop integration
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:28:44 PM by Masterlegodude »

this has been asked so many times and idk the answer, i dont see the problem but im sure someone can answer this better than i can.

well it'd be nice since i have like no add-ons, but i really dont see it happening anytime soon

Allow me to bring up why the current way the workshop works its basically a steaming pile of stuff.

Pretty sure the nothing we have now (Blockland Glass) Is better then the crap that workshop is, and like I said, the workshop would only work fine for builds, addons would be hell to deal with with all the fake DMCA complaints and would also split the addon community, it would even kill Blockland Glass and BLG is a superior service.

A smarter thing to do would be to point Players to Blockland Glass, instead of giving a stuff service.

Look at gmod as an example, I have brought this up 3 times already every time Steam Workshop is brought up, but gmod's workshop is loving terrible, everything is categorized poorly, addons are constantly being taken down by bs DMCA complaints, addons sometimes refuse to update and have to be deleted and re-uploaded, and worse of all, If a content creator takes down his/her content, it will be removed from your game that means you would need to "subscribe" to the addon again and re-download it or if its a useful addon and somebody wants to be a richard, they can DMCA it and it will be down and peoplew ill need to re-subscribe to it to use the damn thing.

The sole fact that the workshop relies on a subscription based system ruins any implementation of workshop, and to add to it the flaws in the DMCA Complaint system are bad enough that they can be abused poorly.

If I was not clear enough let me make a clear example of how it would roll if Blockland had this system.

So say you use slayer, and its a addon you rely on > somebody gets pissed and goes on a DMCA spree > Greek2me gets a DMCA Complaint on slayer and its taken down for the reason "stolen code" > greek2me will be unable to re-upload slayer until his ban is lifted and when slayer would be removed from teh workshop as a result of the DMCA complaint everybody who subscribed to it will have it REMOVED FROM THEIR ADDON FOLDER, it should be noted this is not Blockland's doing but the Steam Service would be the one removing the file.

And while you can appeal a DMCA complaint the odds of stopping one from taking down your content are slim, because usually by the time you get the Complaint your content is already taken down, so now just imagine the above scenario on a bigger scale, that includes all the people who are permabanned from the forums or Blockland and despise it greatly, DMCA complaints would be thrown 24/7 making it a horrible experience, worse than other games.
I'm afraid not, Besiege, Gmod, Skyrim, TF2, CS:GO, Portal 2, all work by having steam write into the game's folder in the steamapps>common folder or if the game is installed elsewhere, steam has read and write privileges that includes deleting or modifying files.

Until valve fixes their stuff and stops deleting addons that you have because of a BS DMCA complaint or Workshop Self Delete, it remains a terrible idea.

Imagine a banned BL user going on a DMCA spree, like I said above, the addon regardless becomes inaccessible till valve finds out if the complaint is real or fake.

That's fine and all, but it's not like once an add-on is put on the Workshop, it can't be uploaded anywhere else

Garry's Mod's workshop has lost a bunch of addons, but they're usually re-uploaded to other places like GameBanana and garrysmods.org

Smart content creators will always have mirrors of their addons in the event of a removal and there are usually a few people here and there who still have an addon that was removed or taken down, so it's like any other method of downloading an add-on, except the Steam Workshop would be just another, but easier, method of doing so

The download for the add-on may not be around forever, but there may be people who still have it lying around on their hard drive or had it uploaded elsewhere, and if not, then the situation would be the same as any other add-on that has been lost due to the download link expiring and no one having a copy of it

That's fine and all, but it's not like once an add-on is put on the Workshop, it can't be uploaded anywhere else

Garry's Mod's workshop has lost a bunch of addons, but they're usually re-uploaded to other places like GameBanana and garrysmods.org

Smart content creators will always have mirrors of their addons in the event of a removal and there are usually a few people here and there who still have an addon that was removed or taken down, so it's like any other method of downloading an add-on, except the Steam Workshop would be just another, but easier, method of doing so

The download for the add-on may not be around forever, but there may be people who still have it lying around on their hard drive or had it uploaded elsewhere, and if not, then the situation would be the same as any other add-on that has been lost due to the download link expiring and no one having a copy of it
Except that's not how the workshop works, whenever the workshop is introduced it pretty much destroys any other way to implement addons into the game, your clearly out of date on this because Garrysmod.org is no longer a place to get addons from, any addon that is on there has not been updated since gmod v10 or v11, in fact, there been word of garrysmod.org being shut down in favor of pointing players twards the workshop, the only other place to get addons for gmod is through the facepunch forums.

As for gamebannana, its used mainly for games that do not have their own addon hosting places, notice how TF2 and CS:GO have workshop support but its not really used for mods other than maps in tf2, and in CS:GO its just used for Valve to pick out skins that people will then buy.

Sure there are other games but thats another story, the fact is the Workshop would only Fragment the addon community and make it worse with addons being dependent on whether or not the uploader keeps it online and lets not forget there are filetype restrictions and size restrictions, so sometimes you end up having to split an addon (though its unlikely in Blockland).

Regardless of how its done it won't work because of the way Valve currently has the workshop working where the uploader has the power to remove their addons and have it be removed from everybody, and if it wasn't clear enough, if there is a good addon and the uploader decides to pull a Self Delete, nobody will have access to it because its deleted from their folder.

Except that's not how the workshop works, whenever the workshop is introduced it pretty much destroys any other way to implement addons into the game, your clearly out of date on this because Garrysmod.org is no longer a place to get addons from, any addon that is on there has not been updated since gmod v10 or v11
What do you mean by this? You can have non-workshop addons in addition to the workshop addons, and they'll work provided they're designed properly

Yes there are outdated Gmod addons, but the same goes for Blockland, you can find and possibly use old versions for both games

in fact, there been word of garrysmod.org being shut down in favor of pointing players twards the workshop, the only other place to get addons for gmod is through the facepunch forums.
I think it shut down unintentionally and Garry just never brought it back, but someone from the community made their own version called garrysmods.org and Garry then made garrysmod.org official by making any links from the old site link to garrysmods.org

Sure there are other games but lets not forget there are filetype restrictions
What else would an add-on have besides DTS, PNG, JPEG, CS, GUI, ATMOSPHERE, GROUND, WATER, OGG, WAV, MP3, TXT, DML, or SUNFLARE? Add-ons that use JSONs for the auto-updater or Blockland Glass to stay up-to-date would be redundant, but they would be useful whenever the Steam servers go down and there's an add-on that needs to be updated

Regardless of how its done it won't work because of the way Valve currently has the workshop working where the uploader has the power to remove their addons and have it be removed from everybody, and if it wasn't clear enough, if there is a good addon and the uploader decides to pull a Self Delete, nobody will have access to it because its deleted from their folder.
I think unsubscribing or having an addon deleted will only remove it from your account's cloud storage so that it will never download again, but you'll still have the actual file

That's how it works for Garry's Mod at least, but it is possible to have a mechanic built into the game that auto-deletes removed or deleted addons, but instead, Garry's Mod just has a console command you can enter to clean up removed addons, so i think it is possible to keep the actual file and it could still work, but it just won't re-download or update

What do you mean by this? You can have non-workshop addons in addition to the workshop addons, and they'll work provided they're designed properly

Yes there are outdated Gmod addons, but the same goes for Blockland, you can find and possibly use old versions for both games
I think it shut down unintentionally and Garry just never brought it back, but someone from the community made their own version called garrysmods.org and Garry then made garrysmod.org official by making any links from the old site link to garrysmods.org
What else would an add-on have besides DTS, PNG, JPEG, CS, GUI, ATMOSPHERE, GROUND, WATER, OGG, WAV, MP3, TXT, DML, or SUNFLARE? Add-ons that use JSONs for the auto-updater or Blockland Glass to stay up-to-date would be redundant, but they would be useful whenever the Steam servers go down and there's an add-on that needs to be updated
I think unsubscribing or having an addon deleted will only remove it from your account's cloud storage so that it will never download again, but you'll still have the actual file

That's how it works for Garry's Mod at least, but it is possible to have a mechanic built into the game that auto-deletes removed or deleted addons, but instead, Garry's Mod just has a console command you can enter to clean up removed addons, so i think it is possible to keep the actual file and it could still work, but it just won't re-download or update
What I mean by that is the addon community for Gmod decided to make up its choice and go full workshop, so many addons that are on garrysmods.org are out of date or a simply a redirect to the workshop, like I said the only way to get an addon that stays regardless of what happens is to go on facepunch and download addons from there.

Garrysmod is different from Blockland here, addons being up to date are very important in gmod because many older gmod v9 or v10 use specific lua functions that have been either removed or replaced with another, so the you end up causing errors if you try to use them, the exceptions here are probably models since those don't really require any coding.

Second thing, you are right one one part, Garrysmod.org was shut down in favor of the community created Garrysmods.org, Garrysmods.org however is not completely based in addons, or modification but offers other things such as servers (it even says on the front page), that doesn't mean however that majority of the addons submitted are simply a workshop redirect.

Third, you never know, the way we have it right now we have it more open, but we may one day get to the point where we can make much more robust addons that even though its risky to inject and modify source code, if addons do get to the point where they can inject and modify code to make amazing things, we would not be able to do that through the workshop.

And for the last thing, thats what I mean, the problem with workshop right now, cloud stuff this and that, and the fact people have the ability to file DMCA complaints, if the Workshop just let you download addons normally (And by that I mean get rid of the stuffty subscription based thing) and keep them even after the Content Creator removes their content or deletes their content the I would like the workshop.

But the fact that the Steam Service can delete a file from your addon directory and make that addon inaccessible is absurd, I like to have full control over my addons, I don't want to have a fovorite addon or a cruzial addon get removed just because some asshat says "Your code is similar to mine so take it down or get banned, hurr durr"

Do we really want to deal with stuff like DMCA Trolls aside from all the other crap that will be brought over?

If Blockland is going to use the workshop, then it should be used for something much more simpler that can expland on the basis of Blockland without fragmenting the addon community.

I have even said it before, if the workshop is used, it should be used to publish and share builds, because we currently do not have a easy way to do that thing at all, the closes we have is the gallery but people don't share their .blb's there often, not even Blockland Glass has a section for saves, so Saves for Workshop would be better than nothing, and if you really do want addons than they can just put a redirect somewhere on the workshop page to the forum's addon section (aka a hotlink to the section of the forums that has addon content).

Anyways, I do not plan on changing your mind, but these should be some very serious things to consider.

(To people who are not masterlegodude)
tldr; Instead of using the workshop for addons we should use it for saves since we don't have a service for that yet.

Blockland is in a bad place right now with mod support.

I don't think the workshop is a great idea.
Why didn't the owner of RTB just let someone else host RTB.(let alone most of the add-ons on there are un reachable now)
Blockland Glass from my experience is very buggy. The preferences mod is horrible, I cant change any digits, its just very glitchy for now and I hope it gets fixed.

I'm completely overwhelmed by this situation, I just want to forget about it, but I cant. Really the best thing we have is Blockland Glass.

Why didn't the owner of RTB just let someone else host RTB.(let alone most of the add-ons on there are un reachable now)
because it takes money to host it, time to fix bugs and check add-ons, and probably at least a small understanding of how RTB works

RTB was doing a lot of work for the game. It made sense for us to just jump on and heavily rely on it. The sudden drop was a terrifying thing. The issue we have now is that several people are now trying to do their own things. Out of them all though, I show most respect towards Blockland Glass. Yeah, it may be buggy at the moment, but remember how long RTB stayed in closed beta? It was pretty damn buggy too.

because it takes money to host it, time to fix bugs and check add-ons, and probably at least a small understanding of how RTB works
A few people were supposed to be 'trained' on being mod reviewers but he just kept saying "I want to wait till the mod manager is reworked", he ended up leaving before that happened.
The money would be an issue sure, but there could've been some people who could at least keep things running the way they were.

That all being said, I believe Blockland Glass is the most probable solution to getting out of the mess we were dropped into. It's a fresh start and it is it's own thing. And maybe if it goes far enough, Badspot can figure a way to incorporate it into the base game. It'll cost a little extra for him to run it if he does that because I'm assuming if he wants to include it in the game, he'll have to be hosting the servers to ensure it lives. But I'm sure it'll be worth it. Newer players will have a much better experience with easier modifiability, especially being exposed to the fact that add-ons even exist. It's a much better option than workshop, assuming everything ends up working.

But there's no way to deny that Workshop is better than our add-ons forum by a long shot. We don't have tags or categories. You pretty well have to know what you're looking for beforehand, or actively explore a giant 169 page list, scrolling through each and every title, and you'll pass by neat things. You'll miss them.

So . . Your saying he couldn't find anyone that could do that?
Also You don't have to be a richard about me not knowing something you'd known about.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:16:54 PM by A_TEE »

But there's no way to deny that Workshop is better than our add-ons forum by a long shot. We don't have tags or categories. You pretty well have to know what you're looking for beforehand, or actively explore a giant 169 page list, scrolling through each and every title, and you'll pass by neat things. You'll miss them.
it's not a good replacement but this is the best we have

Also You don't have to be a richard about me not knowing something you'd known about.
i'm not trying to be

i forgot to post the archives
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:19:15 PM by The Resonte! »

So that explains why I can use addons I "lost" (aka not on my cloud storage) while I'm playing GMod in Offline mode...