Bash shell is coming to Windows 10!?

Author Topic: Bash shell is coming to Windows 10!?  (Read 1316 times)

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/30/be-very-afraid-hell-has-frozen-over-bash-is-coming-to-windows-10/

This is a real native Bash Linux binary running on Windows itself. It's fast and lightweight and it's the real binaries. This is an genuine Ubuntu image on top of Windows with all the Linux tools I use like awk, sed, grep, vi, etc. It's fast and it's lightweight. The binaries are downloaded by you - using apt-get - just as on Linux, because it is Linux. You can apt-get and download other tools like Ruby, Redis, emacs, and on and on. This is brilliant for developers that use a diverse set of tools like me.

Apparently hell has frozen over.

I still ain't upgrading to 10 after the sleazy stuff they pulled on me.

Holly stuff this is huge for devs.

Not sure if its useful for normal users though.

Holly stuff this is huge for devs.

Probably not. Huge regardless, though.

It's really only useful to people who use bash. So basically it's only useful to people who use Linux on a regular basis.

This is actually super cool though. I can't see this replacing actually using a Linux server in deployment, though. Might be helpful for the development process at least.

Neato. Hope it works out. Much of the pain in developing in a Windows environment is the trouble of installing tools and getting things to build how you want them to.

Not much practical value since I don't develop anything serious but it's cool to know. Linux is at least a versatile environment so that's cool to have available.

How does it work?

How does it work?
From the looks of it, it's a Universal app that is literally just a bash shell with a simulated Linux system for it to interact with.

Not much practical value since I don't develop anything serious but it's cool to know. Linux is at least a versatile environment so that's cool to have available.

How does it work?
Similar to how Wine emulates windows programs on linux, but not at the same time? It seems as though they've just natively implemented bash and allowed you to run GNU/Linux binaries from that.

Also, correction: there's tons of practical value. Good command-line tools have always been easy to use and super accessible from linux distros for ages, but a pain on Windows. Ask pretty much anyone who's developed anything on Windows.

I meant not much value for me.

I meant not much value for me.
Ah, misread. My bad then.

ive got bash under "win+r -> shserver"